First full shoulder for pulling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
Did an 8lb pork shoulder for pulling on New Years Eve. Started at 10 pm Friday night after seasoning the shoulder and warming up my WSM. I used apple wood for flavor and we were off. This was my first overnight smoke. I got up at 2, 5, and 7 to check temperature and add charcoal. My biggest obstacle wasn't the stall, but the cold outside temperature. The wind was supposed to die down but was a constant breeze just to be annoying. I refused to crutch as I wanted a good bark and wanted to do this old school. At 2 pm Saturday afternoon, the IT hit 199 and the coals were about exhausted. I was shooting for an even 200, but didn't want to have to add more charcoal for one degree so I took it off. I wasn't disappointed. The meat was falling off as I took it off the smoker. I got it inside and let it rest about an hour and then started pulling it. By the time guests arrived, we were good to go and I was getting positive comments all around. [GALLERY="media, 507104"][/GALLERY][/IMG

Tender and juicy goodness! Happy New Year everyone!

That shoulder looks real tasty, good job on the cook.

I love a good bark on my Pork, but it takes a good rub, and that shoulder looks naked.
You're looking for a crispy crackling rind with that skin on it, which can be as good or better than a good Bark.

POINT for the pics.

That looks incredible! I have to fight the wind a lot, due to both the climate where I love (WV), and the fact that my grills are on a deck 10' off the ground. To combat this, I've put a couple of those grill matts under my grills, and when needed I can set up some baffles around my grills. I don't have to do this often, but you make a great point that the weather is a good thing to consider. All the same, your dinner guests obviously ate good. Congrats!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky