First Ever Cornish Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Everything looks great, I haven't fixed 1in probably 20 years, I use to hunt the first muzzle loader hunt in Tn that was in the Telico Plains area, the local grocery store sold them for $1.00 , we would stop and load up, cooked over a fire they would bring tears of joy lol, you all around here aint helping me get back to my boyish figure lmao

Good lookin meal Robert . I've been eyeing those at the store . Was a common meal when I was a kid , but that's how long it's been since I had any .
Nice work bud .

Your cornish hens loom great Robert! It’s been forever since I had one of those. Nicely done!!

Those hens look great Robert. Like you(and it seems alot of folks here). I haven't had them since mom cooked them for us when I was a young'in. However I don't remember her putting so effort into cooking them. Pretty sure back then it was unwrap, season and into the oven.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking cook Robert! Love those Cornish hens!
Thanks so much Ryan. We loved them too and it's a nice addition to the menu rotation, as well as a remembrance of good things in the past.
Robert those look fantastic!! It’s been ages since I’ve had them. I really need to change that. Great job on these!
Thank you Jeff. I could see you loading up the Lang with about 400 of them and creating another culinary masterpiece.
Mini yardbirds look fantastic Robert. Fine looking meal you tossed together quickly.
Very much appreciate it. After all the setbacks, it came out well.

Robert

Hell Yeah, birds be looking delicious!
Thanks Chile!! They came out looking pretty good for a rookie cook. Most important is that they were super flavorful though.
Robert, it's been too long since I've had Cornish hens and I'd actually forgotten about them again
I know the "it's been too long" feeling :emoji_wink: Time to get a batch going for that brood of yours. They are easy to do and quick to cook but are just amazing.
Looks like a great meal but being from just North of Cajun Country I'd rather have my gravy over some rice.
Gotcha!! I love gravy over rice also but we'd just had a dinner with rice recently and I like to mix things up so we don't get redundant meals.

Robert

Wow! You never disappoint Robert! That’s awesome all the way around. I have to say you’re more polite than me!
Thank you Jed. If it was up to me I'd have just gone about cooking and tried to be somewhat respectful. Tracy on the other hand is the ultimate host and if I'm not 100% polite with our guests I hear about it when they leave :emoji_laughing:
You know, I can't remember the last time I cooked them...has to be over 20 years ago. I usually reach for some of the wild game birds I have in the freezer. Thanks for posting, the birds look great!
Heck Keith, with all the great stuff you have in the freezer, there's no reason to go buy something. I'll trade you a couple hens for a duck breast :emoji_wink:
Robert my friend, IMO those hens look phenomenal! I’d have no problem making one or two disappear!
Thanks so much. They were really good and the paprika really amped up the appearance. Yes sir, it would be really easy to devour a couple of these things. They are really tasty but not very big, that's for sure.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
Great looking birds Robert. And the full meal deal on the plate.

No problem for me to slide up to a big plate of that right there
Thank you David. Weather is warming up so it's time to find one of those wooden barrels, your burlap thong, and I'll meet you at the bottom of Niagara Falls :emoji_laughing: From there it's just a short 4 day road trip to TX for dinner.
Robert They look great as always.
Thank you Richie. I appreciate it. They came out looking pretty good and we were happy.

Robert

Nice cook Robert. We do hens at our house often, they are a nice quick dish, I usually split them down the middle for a nice serving size and presentation. It also allows for broiling to crisp up the skin because the cook in blink. Although whole always has a nice classic look to it as well!

Thank you David. Weather is warming up so it's time to find one of those wooden barrels, your burlap thong, and I'll meet you at the bottom of Niagara Falls :emoji_laughing: From there it's just a short 4 day road trip to TX for dinner.
I guess I need a barrel, I always have my thong on , But better bring more cloths , 4 days in the burlap might be too much. But worth it for some of that chicken. :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:. May be float around in your pool to get some of the great ideas you have been having

David

Thank you Richie. I appreciate it. They came out looking pretty good and we were happy.

Robert
Robert I don't like chicken but I do like the Cornish Game Hens. I make a few at a time and freeze them having the last one tonight.
Richie

Everything looks great, I haven't fixed 1in probably 20 years, I use to hunt the first muzzle loader hunt in Tn that was in the Telico Plains area, the local grocery store sold them for $1.00 , we would stop and load up, cooked over a fire they would bring tears of joy
Thanks so much Mike. Great story and I can see why it brought tears of joy. They would be excellent cooked over an open fire.
That meal looks fantastic and I a big fan of egg noodles. Just season and put some butter on and I good.
I'm with you on the noodles Brian. It's just that I'd planned mashed potatoes but had to drop back 10 and punt to it was noodles with the gravy or the gravy pretty much went to waste....and I'm not wasting gravy :emoji_laughing:
Good lookin meal Robert . I've been eyeing those at the store . Was a common meal when I was a kid , but that's how long it's been since I had any .
Thanks Richie. Like you, it had been years but man oh man am I glad to have these back in my life.

Robert

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Your cornish hens loom great Robert! It’s been forever since I had one of those. Nicely done!!
Thanks Joe. Sounds like you best get busy and cook up a few of these babies :emoji_wink:
Those hens look great Robert. Like you(and it seems alot of folks here). I haven't had them since mom cooked them for us when I was a young'in. However I don't remember her putting so effort into cooking them.
Thank you sir. When mom made them it was a simple process. I went to the extreme in hopes of having Tracy fall in love with them so they could be added to the rotation. It worked!!
If memory serves me, last time I had them it was baked with a honey orange zest glaze...
I've heard of this and did a little searching trying to find a decent looking recipe but everything I read fell short. With a bit more time to think it through I'll probably make up my own next time.

Robert

i sure hope there weren't any allergic reactions
Appreciate the concern but all is well.
Looks excellant Robert,
Thank you Jim.
Nice cook Robert. We do hens at our house often, they are a nice quick dish, I usually split them down the middle for a nice serving size
They do cook quick, no doubt about that. As you can see I cooked mine whole but did exactly what you said for serving: just cut down the middle and half for each of us....then another half for me :emoji_wink:
May be float around in your pool to get some of the great ideas you have been having
You're more than welcome to do just that David but remember that a margarita or beer in hand is mandatory in the pool :emoji_laughing:
Robert I don't like chicken but I do like the Cornish Game Hens.
I'm fond of pretty much all poultry but have to admit that these are far better than regular chicken.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky