First Dino Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Bird

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Well, maybe not the first time doing dino ribs, though the actual first time was many years ago, when I didn't really know what I was doing. Back then I was using a crappy Brinkman cabinet charcoal smoker that leaked everywhere and I thought thick white smoke was a good thing. Pulled the ribs when they stalled around 160F because I didn't know I needed to push thru it. As you can imagine, they were tough and dry. I try not to think about the cooks from those days.

Today's cook was much better. Dry brined a 3 bone rack for about 3 hours then rubbed it with pepper, garlic, and some Kinders Mild BBQ rub:

20210727_082633.jpg

On the smoker around 8:30 this morning. Running the MB gravity feed with Kingsford Competition briquettes and chunks of cherry, pecan, and hickory:

20210727_084725.jpg

I was shooting for around 240 cooking temp, though I'm not sure I was spot on. My grate probe was reading between 200 and 220 the whole time, however, the smoker was set to 260 and the Tell Tru thermometer in the lid (which is about meat level) read around 240 to 250. I suspect the grate probe was shielded by the water pan and thus was reading low.

About 4 hours in:

20210727_124027.jpg

After 8.5 hours, they probed tender around 195.

Didn't get many pics at the end of the cook. I had the day off, but the wife had to work, so getting dinner on the table took priority over documenting the cook. Did get a money shot though:

20210727_182729.jpg

I have to say, this was probably the best thing I've made yet. So tender and juicy. "Why would you ever cook brisket when you could make these?", asked the wife.

Thanks for looking.

Bird

I have to say, this was probably the best thing I've made yet. So tender and juicy. "Why would you ever cook brisket when you could make these?", asked the wife.
Looks great. Making me hungry again.
Beef ribs are gaining in popularity for a good reason. So juicy from all the fat, which is also why it's so flavorful. And cooking is rather forgiving, unlike brisket.
I recently did a 7-bone dino, which you can see in a few posts below yours. It barely fit on the WSM.

Looks great. Making me hungry again.
Beef ribs are gaining in popularity for a good reason. So juicy from all the fat, which is also why it's so flavorful. And cooking is rather forgiving, unlike brisket.
I recently did a 7-bone dino, which you can see in a few posts below yours. It barely fit on the WSM.

Thanks Edmonds. I saw your post. Fantastic cook.

I'm green with envy. We never see a cut like that around here. Yours look FANTASTIC!! Great job.
Gary

Thanks Gary. They're not usually in the meat cases in stores around here either. However, I just asked the guys at the meat counter at my local, kinda fancy, grocery store if they had them in the back before they cut them up. They did and sold me the 3 bone rack for a couple of dollars/lb cheaper than they sell the cut ribs. You might be able to find them if you ask.

BBQB, Looks delicious!

Thanks Crazymoon.

Yes sir, I just need to know where to pull up a chair.

Thanks GonnaSmoke. We'll save a spot for you at the end of the table. :emoji_blush: Also, I love the quote in your signature.

Those look so good!

Thanks Brian.

YEAP! Looks good!
Great job!

Thanks Yankee

Looks great

Thanks Jim

These look amazing! When you purchase them, are you asking for Plate ribs? I always seem to buy the wrong cut.

Thanks Brentos. Initially, I did ask for plate ribs. However, the guy at the meat counter said they didn't have plate ribs, only chuck short ribs so that's what I got. I'm not an expert on what the difference is, however, the meat counter guy said that chuck ribs are better, and these certainly were fantastic.

Those are some fine looking ribs!
Nicely done!!
Al

Thanks Al.

Yes sir those look great !

Thanks 912

Reactions: challenger
I think I just wet a little!
Man those are some fine looking beef ribs! Look textbook to me. Congrats on the Featured ride!

The sign of a good pitmaster is the ability to take a cheaper or lesser cut and turn it into something magical. It surprises me that short ribs and briskets typically cost more than chuck. Chuck is much more forgiving, but If I had a choice between the three I think I would rather eat the short ribs done right just like OP's post (BBQ birds!)They just have a better beefy flavor, and something about the primal cave-man that comes out in me when eating off the bone!

Last edited:
Looks great and nice smoke ring too. I agree with your wife, I’d pick these every time over brisket if I had both available.

Nice job on those bones. There are several things that cook as good or better than a brisket try a chuck roast.

Warren

Thanks Warren. I've done a chuck roast a couple of times. The first was an attempt at chuck roast burnt ends that got over done. Not so good that first night, but added them to a pot of chili that turned out fantastic. The second time I smoked a chuck, I made pulled beef sandwiches. That was delicious. Similar to pot roast, I thought the beef got better the next day.

The sign of a good pitmaster is the ability to take a cheaper or lesser cut and turn it into something magical. It surprises me that short ribs and briskets typically cost more than chuck. Chuck is much more forgiving, but If I had a choice between the three I think I would rather eat the short ribs done right just like BBQ birds! They just have a better beefy flavor, and something about the primal cave-man that comes out in me when eating off the bone!

Round here (Seattle) I can find chuck and brisket flats for around $7-$8/lb in the grocery stores, whole packers for around $5-$6/lb at Costco, and bone in short ribs for $10/lb at the grocery store. So short ribs are kind of a splurge considering that at least 60% of the weight is bone.

I find chuck roasts muscle fibers and structure to be fairly different than brisket and short ribs. I think chucks are great for pulled beef, while briskets and short ribs are better for slicing. However, if someone has a great technique for getting good sliced beef from a chuck roast, I'd love to give it a try.

Those look amazing - great job on that cook. Your first try at Dino ribs reminds me of my first try at brisket.

Thanks Rich. I'll be trying a brisket sometime in the near future. Hopefully it turns out as good yours.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky