First Dino Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm green with envy. We never see a cut like that around here. Yours look FANTASTIC!! Great job.
Gary
You can get them at Costco, BJ'S and Sams Club. Just ask the butcher, they have cases uncut in the back, They only put out cut up slabs. Usually a buck or 2 cheaper too since they don't have to spend time cutting.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Didn't get many pics at the end of the cook. I had the day off, but the wife had to work, so getting dinner on the table took priority over documenting the cook. Did get a money shot though:

View attachment 505776

I have to say, this was probably the best thing I've made yet. So tender and juicy. "Why would you ever cook brisket when you could make these?", asked the wife.

Thanks for looking.

Bird
[/QUOTE]

Looks Great !!
And your wife asks Good Questions!!
Like.

Bear

You can get them at Costco, BJ'S and Sams Club. Just ask the butcher, they have cases uncut in the back, They only put out cut up slabs. Usually a buck or 2 cheaper too since they don't have to spend time cutting.

Nice cook! Been a while since I did those...

Thanks WaterRat. I thought I'd be able to get three or four bone sections at Costco, also. However, the one near me only gets short ribs pre cut in either flanken or English cut. Strange. The local, semi-fancy grocery store had them uncut, though, and I did get them for a dollar/lb cheaper than the cut ribs. Still pricy, though.

Didn't get many pics at the end of the cook. I had the day off, but the wife had to work, so getting dinner on the table took priority over documenting the cook. Did get a money shot though:

View attachment 505776

I have to say, this was probably the best thing I've made yet. So tender and juicy. "Why would you ever cook brisket when you could make these?", asked the wife.

Thanks for looking.

Bird

Looks Great !!
And your wife asks Good Questions!!
Like.

Bear
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bear.

YES! I'd kill to find those at a store around me! I fear the only way I'll get to try them is to order them online, which will be $$$$$.

The "nice" supermarket around me, the guy I spoke at the meat counter about a brisket brought me a 2lb corn beef lol. I bought some short ribs, they didn't look super meaty but I thought they'd be better than nothing. HOURS on my Gravity 560 and what came off was 92% bone 8% meat. They were tasty and I savored every bite, which was literally like 4 bites. Seriously, can someone explain these to me? At my local Ralphs, the Short Ribs I bought are all the same looking, so that means very little meat once cooked. WHY the hell do people pay $6/lb for these? The 4 pack I got was like 1.7lbs and I probably got 1/4lb of meat once cooked. And I didn't eventhink I put them much salt but they came out tasting like a meat flavored salt lick. I apparently need some schooling on what these are good for.

I'm going to go Google where I can order these online, to hell with a few bills this month I need Dino Ribs in my belly before summers over.

YES! I'd kill to find those at a store around me! I fear the only way I'll get to try them is to order them online, which will be $$$$$.

The "nice" supermarket around me, the guy I spoke at the meat counter about a brisket brought me a 2lb corn beef lol. I bought some short ribs, they didn't look super meaty but I thought they'd be better than nothing. HOURS on my Gravity 560 and what came off was 92% bone 8% meat. They were tasty and I savored every bite, which was literally like 4 bites. Seriously, can someone explain these to me? At my local Ralphs, the Short Ribs I bought are all the same looking, so that means very little meat once cooked. WHY the hell do people pay $6/lb for these? The 4 pack I got was like 1.7lbs and I probably got 1/4lb of meat once cooked. And I didn't eventhink I put them much salt but they came out tasting like a meat flavored salt lick. I apparently need some schooling on what these are good for.

I'm going to go Google where I can order these online, to hell with a few bills this month I need Dino Ribs in my belly before summers over.

BBQ Bird's Ribs (Post #1) have a nice amount of meat on them, but most people can't find Beef Ribs like that in a store.
I have found the best way to get decent Meaty Ribs, is to buy the Prime Rib (Standing Rib Roast), and cut the ribs off yourself.

This thread explains it all, with Pics of the Ribs:
Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

Bear

Wierd... short ribs should have plenty of meat though there's usually one that's pretty fatty. Sure there're not back ribs? Short rib bones should be barely visable, theyre oval and flat. back ribs look kinda like big pork baby backs with a good curve to them but cut close to the bone on top. A Shortrib rack is nearly square where a back rib rack is more like a slab of baby backs.

Wierd... short ribs should have plenty of meat though there's usually one that's pretty fatty. Sure there're not back ribs? Short rib bones should be barely visable, theyre oval and flat. back ribs look kinda like big pork baby backs with a good curve to them but cut close to the bone on top. A Shortrib rack is nearly square where a back rib rack is more like a slab of baby backs.

Short Ribs is what Ralphs prints on the label, and there were 3 in the pack. The bones were barely visible, and they cooked down to almost nothing. the 3 pack I bought was around 1.5lbs . They're $7/lb whenever I see them there. They definitely don't look anything like the Spare or Baby Back Ribs I normally buy.

Short Ribs is what Ralphs prints on the label, and there were 3 in the pack. The bones were barely visible, and they cooked down to almost nothing. the 3 pack I bought was around 1.5lbs . They're $7/lb whenever I see them there. They definitely don't look anything like the Spare or Baby Back Ribs I normally buy.
Copy that, Ive just seen various cuts mis-named/mis-labeled, add in local names and it can get confusing ;)

Copy that, Ive just seen various cuts mis-named/mis-labeled, add in local names and it can get confusing ;)

absolutely, and it doesn't help at all that I don't know what the hell I'm looking for really when it comes to the harder to find stuff. And the butchers at that store are don't seem to know much either. I asked the kid working there if they ever got Packer Briskets and he just stood there going "uhhhhh, never even heard of that"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky