First Cook RT1250, Lemon and Herb Grilled Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
First cook on the my new RT1250, I did some Lemon and Herb Chicken Thighs with Pommes Fondant.

I whipped up a combo of herbs and spices and let the thighs brine in it and some fresh lemon juice/zest for several hours.
During that time I prepped my taters and got the grill up to temp, 400°.
I put the thighs on and let them go for 40 minutes, then checked on the thighs, doused them with lemon juice and temped them.
Turned the heat up to 500° and flipped the thighs skin down.
Ten minutes later I doused them again with fresh lemon juice.
During these periods I was cooking the potatoes.
Got the chicken up to temp 180° and pulled them, the spuds were ready just a few minutes later.
Called the family for dinner and got out of the way with my own plate.

As you can see in the pics, the chicken skin got a nice crisp on it.
I used RecTeq's Ultimate Blend pellets and everybody liked the light smoke it gave at the higher temps.
It was raining pretty good during most of the cook and the RecTeq didn't budge on it's temp.
First cook down and done, I'm happy with it so far.

20230129_164702.jpg

20230129_181617.jpg

20230129_181626.jpg

20230129_181631.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you are happy with it. Good looking chicken. I’ve had my Traeger for about 5 years. I’ve considered a rec for my next one because of the higher temps. Traeger only gets up to about 430.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Very nice chiler! I’m betting you have a huge smile with that performance, those spuds look perfect too! My I wish you many more happy future cooks on the RT!

Great looking first cook!
Thanks!
Pretty machine and awesome batch of food there John

Looks like the Recteq did you well
That chicken is just fantastic

David
Thank you.
Yes, it did well in adverse conditions.
Very nice chiler! I’m betting you have a huge smile with that performance, those spuds look perfect too! My I wish you many more happy future cooks on the RT!
Yes I did, appreciate it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Glad you are happy with it. Good looking chicken. I’ve had my Traeger for about 5 years. I’ve considered a rec for my next one because of the higher temps. Traeger only gets up to about 430.
Me too and thank you.
I was really looking for higher temps, this RT1250 almost hit 800° on Full burn.
Looks awesome Chili, that 1250 looks huge!
Gratsi!
I actually thought it looked smallish and almost had buyers remorse.
But with two large racks it is plenty large enough for me.
Bet I could do four briskets at once.

I honestly do wish that I'd been able to afford the RT2500.
But it'd be a bit of overkill for my needs.

Damn, that looks amazing.
I do have a question though, did you make a mistake in your post, or do you like extreemly well done chicken?

"Got the chicken up to temp 180° and pulled them."

I never cook chicken past 162*, because the carry-over brings it up to 164 to165'ish

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky