first cook on weber performer (pork shoulder)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JeffB1961

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
i smoked a 10 1/2 lb pork shoulder on my new performer yesterday for it's very first cook . it is the most tender shoulder i've done , more tender/soft than my OJ Bronco drum or the offset side of my OJ Longhorn Combo . but it did not have nearly as much color and not as much smoke flavor , it did have a decent smoke ring but not as dark or deep . it tasted good though . not bad IMO for my first cook on it . i did the snake method (first time for that too) and used my inkbird 6 probe for the grate and shoulder temps . the kettle gauge varied between 40-70 degrees higher than the inkbird 6 ..... . it took a while to get up to temp and some fiddle farting around with the vents to figure where they needed to be .

i used wally expert grill brickets 2 wide and 2 high with pecan and a tumble weed on the end to start it and put a aluminum pan in the middle to catch the drippings . i filled it half way with boiling water but a hour in temps didn't want to go above 210 so i dumped the water , used the pan dry and settled in about 260-270 for the cook . i usually use weber cubes but my wally and lowes were OOS . the snake went almost 7/8 around and half a dozen or so brickets were left when the shoulder hit 165 so i double wrapped it in HD foil , put it in a new aluminum pan and finished it in the kitchen oven till it hit 205 and let it set for about 1 1/2 hours before opening and shredding it . rubbed it with olive oil and used my sea salt , pepper and garlic mix and then killer hogs The BBQ Rub the night before for the cook .

it was good but not my best and i'm satisfied for my first time using it . there's a learning curve for everything ..... and i had a new grill and a new to me way of cooking (snake method) so i'm not complaining .... just sharing my first experience . i do wish the temp gauge was more accurate but it's not really a issue for me since i have the inkbird . soooo ..... there ya go .

take care folks , jeff

Reactions: Cabo and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky