First cook on new mailbox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
With the help of many generous people here I finally was able to get some smoke out of the mailbox.

PXL_20220221_215259940.jpg

The drainage pipe stack is not going to stay, I doubt the wife would ever be able to overcome that. The plan is to use one or two stack elements out of the back, whatever it takes to get the flow correct.

The mailbox looks like:
PXL_20220218_232655093.jpg
The wood clamp is not needed any longer.

To see if there was enough smoke I had three rib ends, the thick side from a rib party last week watching some Sounders international football, that I either had to cook or freeze. I decided they would be a good test so I sPOG prepped them and threw them in the smoker. I used cherry pellets, it's what I had, and the 6" smoke tube. I wanted to see how long it would last to get an idea of the combustion going on in the mailbox. The small tube lasted 2.5 hours. I refilled it to get the rest of the time for the meat.

The total cook took 4 hours, the first two hours at 230*F and the last two hours at 275. I pulled them at 4 hours and they are resting at the moment. The IT was between 185 and 190*F.

PXL_20220222_020544960.jpg PXL_20220222_020550371.jpg
not as much bone showing as I thought, but they are the thick end of the rack.

Forgot I was going to mention a small.amount of liquid at bottom of the mailbox when I had to switch out the tube.

Last edited:
Looks pretty dang tasty! Like the view from your driveway too!

the thick side of ribs doesn’t shoe much bone because the loin meat is lean and resists shrinkage......

how did they taste?

Reactions: Nefarious
With the help of many generous people here I finally was able to get some smoke out of the mailbox.

View attachment 526580
The drainage pipe stack is not going to stay, I doubt the wife would ever be able to overcome that. The plan is to use one or two stack elements out of the back, whatever it takes to get the flow correct.

To see if there was enough smoke I had three rib ends, the thick side from a rib party last week watching some Sounders international football, that I either had to cook or freeze. I decided they would be a good test so I sPOG prepped them and threw them in the smoker. I used cherry pellets, it's what I had, and the 6" smoke tube. I wanted to see how long it would last to get an idea of the combustion going on in the mailbox. The small tube lasted 2.5 hours. I refilled it to get the rest of the time for the meat.

The total cook took 4 hours, the first two hours at 230*F and the last two hours at 275. I pulled them at 4 hours and they are resting at the moment. The IT was between 185 and 190*F.

View attachment 526587 View attachment 526588
not as much bone showing as I thought, but they are the thick end of the rack.

Forgot I was going to mention a small.amount of liquid at bottom of the mailbox when I had to switch out the tube.
Looks like a success! Good job on the build, I like to see folks venture outside the norm.

Looks pretty dang tasty! Like the view from your driveway too!

the thick side of ribs doesn’t shoe much bone because the loin meat is lean and resists shrinkage......

how did they taste?
Thanks for the comment, won't eat them until tomorrow. I might cut one tonight as I'm preppy for dinner and add it.

To me the loin meat is best right off the smoker and short rest.....I just want to taste them!!! LOL

To me the loin meat is best right off the smoker and short rest.....I just want to taste them!!! LOL
I can't serve smoked meet too often here, it is sort of a private project. If I serve more then once.a.week, I get the evil eye, and I made these exact same ribs last thursday.

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Sorry
Forgot to include nice ribs
I get comments from the other half as well.
I smoked a 2# piece of pork shoulder yesterday. It got a nice amount of smoke and a thumbs up from my wife.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky