1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First cook on my Timberline 1300!!

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by retfr8flyr, Dec 6, 2018.

1. retfr8flyr

retfr8flyr Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I got my grill seasoned today and did a couple baby back rib racks for dinner. I am really impressed with this grill. It was 36° outside this morning when I fired up the grill, for the burn in. The grill went from dead cold to 500° in 35 minutes. I think that is outstanding. I did my ribs at 225° on SS for 3 hours and then turned it up to 250° and finished them off. They came out great, these are no wrap, no sauce ribs and they came out very moist and tender. I used Oakridge BBQ Competition rub for the first time and it is a great rub, good flavor with a little kick too it. These are some of the best ribs I have made, I am really loving this grill. Here are some pics.

On the grill just before turning up to 250°

[​IMG]

Finished and inside.

[​IMG]

First cut.

[​IMG]

2. They look great wish I could taste them

retfr8flyr likes this.
  3. Winterrider

Winterrider Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Look delicious !

retfr8flyr likes this.
  4. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks Great, Earl!
    I bet they were really tasty, too.

retfr8flyr likes this.
  5. retfr8flyr

They really were. I think that Oakridge BBQ rub is great. My wife likes this sweet cherry bbq sauce https://www.cherryrepublic.com/original-cherry-bbq-sauce.html and I usually don't care that much for it but with the flavor and little kick of this rub they just worked great together.

6. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Winner-winner, Baby Back dinner!
    First of many to enjoy!

Sounds like you are going to have to start buying your meat by the carcass with that big grill.

retfr8flyr likes this.
  7. SecondHandSmoker

SecondHandSmoker Meat Mopper ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I don't know which is making me salivate more, the grill or the ribs. Nice job!

retfr8flyr likes this.
  8. retfr8flyr

Did a Spatchcocked chicken tonight. I have done a lot of chicken on many various grills, including my Big Joe and I can honestly say this was the best chicken I have ever cooked. Nothing fancy, just McMcormick Grillmates Brown Sugar Bourbon rub and cooked at 375° until 165° in the breast. No Super Smoke or anything just a straight out cook. I have cooked with this rub many times, it's one of my favorites for chicken but I have never had one turn out this good. I have read the many say a pellet grill does chicken better then anything else and I can understand that statement. I will be doing a boneless rib roast tomorrow and I am going to use the 1300, instead of my Joetisserie. I know how well the 1300 does pork and chicken. I want to see how it does on beef.

[​IMG]

9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Sounds like your hooked. The food looks amazing - Nicely done.

Point for sure
    Chris

retfr8flyr likes this.
  10. retfr8flyr

Standing rib roast on my 1300. I got busy with some family and only got a pic after I started slicing pieces. I cooked this at 225° on SS until 125° internal. I then pulled it off and wrapped in foil, while the grill came up to 500°. It's 36° outside and it only took 15 minutes to get to temp. I then put it back on and seared it on all sides. The roast was fabulous, a real winner, very flavorful, juicy and tender. Have I mentioned that I absolutely love this grill. Here is the only pic I have of the roast.

[​IMG]