First competition tomorrow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybergoon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My buddy and I are competing in our first BBQ competition tomorrow night into Sunday. We are very excited. Our plan is to do 2 Boston Butts, 1 Brisket and about a dozen chicken thighs.

I believe we have five judges to attempt to please. Planning to use our version of Memphis Dust for the Butts, Simple salt, pepper, garlic and onion for the Brisket. We haven't decided 100% how we are doing the thighs yet. We are going to do a couple of practice runs of thighs while the other stuff is smoking.

I have a pretty good list of items we will need while we are there, but I know that there are some things that I would never think to take along. That's where you guys come in! Is there anything that anyone can think of that someone might commonly forget to take to their first competition? I have been reading on here almost constantly to try to get ready, but I'm sure there's things I'm not thinking of.

We are taking two smokers. WSM 22.5" and my offset trailer RF smoker. We will be using Oak for our heat source and using Hickory and Cherry for flavor wood.

The competition is for a small town fire department's 150th anniversary and is limited to 20 competitors. We have not been told how many teams have entered. This is not a sanctioned event. The are no hard rules to follow, just that the meats have to be turned in on time, no garnishes.

Thanks for everyone's input and info that I have gathered here on the board. We will take as many pics as we have time for and get them up on here as soon as we are able.

Most of all have fun, second of all, cook the meats like you know how.  Nothing new, nothing out of the ordinary, just good Q.  As far as a list, mine is way too extensive, I probably need to trim some of the fat on my list, but I would rather have it than get there and wish I had brought it.  I'll try and PM the list to you.  Good luck and like I said earlier, have fun.

Good Luck, have fun, and take some pictures!! We'd love to see you in action and the results!

I've never competed, but from what i've seen here the trick for knowing what to bring is to bring everything you think you need outside and do a test run.  If you have to go inside for anything, that's what you need to add to your list. 

Good Luck!

Take it to 'em and Good Luck...JJ

Good Luck, have fun, and take some pictures!! We'd love to see you in action and the results!

I've never competed, but from what i've seen here the trick for knowing what to bring is to bring everything you think you need outside and do a test run.  If you have to go inside for anything, that's what you need to add to your list. 

Good Luck!

X2

I know it is a bit different , but when we plan off site events we do the same thing. Pre make what what you are allowed too and bring backup. Never let fuel be an issue, we bring 2x what we think we will need. If you are using folding tables, use PVC pipe to make extensions for the legs. Saves your back if you are taller than 5', I know it saves mine. Rain shelter for the cookers and you. Wind shields to protect the smokers........... I have a tendency to over prepare and plan, but I would rather have and not need than need and not have.....

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Good luck on the comp.  I have never competed, so anything I say is not worth much.  Just do your best, don't stress, and follow the great advice here from the knowledgeable guys.  Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky