First Collar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rocfish13

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
North Carolina
This is my first time I grilled a pork collar. I usually use these for my copacola charcuterie. I get my pork products from a Heritage Farms in Goldsboro, NC. Their family has been breeding these Chesire hogs for 40 years. I brought it up to 165 on the grill, then finished it collar1.jpg collar2.jpg collar3.jpg to 205 in the crock pot. Sides are mushroom and broccoli casserole, fried okra, and fried candied sweet potatoes. Also threw on some of my homemade spicy Italian sausage . Had to add my pecan pie for dessert. I can barely get off the couch after this meal! Gary

I have claim ignorance here...what is pork collar? And how is it cost-wise compared to other cuts? It looks like it came out great!
The collar runs from the jowl to the shoulder close to the loin. Sometimes called the pork neck or neck fillet. They can also be cut into really good steaks. They are more expensive then a standard cut. Considered the gold standard for grilling pork meats.

Reactions: JLeonard
Got it... I assumed it was around the neck/shoulder area being named collar but I’ve never heard of it before and you never know with names like pork butt. I will keep my eyes open for it. Thanks for the info and again, it looks great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky