First Catering Job

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paulie Walnuts 440

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Hey hope everyone is doing well,

I have my first catering job of 15 people on the 14th of August. I'm getting the meats from a local butcher and it's retail pricing .. I haven't established a whole sale seller yet. The person wants the following items:

Brisket
-Pork butt
-3 slabs ribs
-Pulled Chicken
-Cole Slaw
-Potato Salad
-mac and cheese
- my home Made BBQ and Vinegar Sauce

Brisket will cost roughly $80-100
Pork butt around $20 ish
Ribs roughly like $15 each
Two whole chickens at around $12 each
Rest of the items around $50 to $60
And wood I'll burn will be about $40 roughly

I'm running a wood offset smoker and of course putting in the long hours which most people don't realize what it takes when your up over 20 some odd hours hahaha..what are your thoughts on price point I should charge? I was thinking around $275 as I'll be just breaking even...

Reactions: JLeonard
That is a lot of food (meat and sides) for 15 people. You may want to talk to the person about paring down the menu which will help with pricing for both of you. As to what to charge, I've always heard the 3x principle - would be closer to $600 range based on what you posted. I see you are factoring in COGS, but what about all other costs to run the business (licenses, permits, advertising, your time, equipment, etc.)?

Reactions: jcam222
That is a lot of food (meat and sides) for 15 people. You may want to talk to the person about paring down the menu which will help with pricing for both of you. As to what to charge, I've always heard the 3x principle - would be closer to $600 range based on what you posted. I see you are factoring in COGS, but what about all other costs to run the business (licenses, permits, advertising, your time, equipment, etc.)?

Ya I thought it's definitely a lot food for 15 people but she is helping me get some exposure with the business so it was a little way of people sampling some of what I do. The 3x principal is good to keep into mind because I'm saying to myself just the amount of time that goes into this should totally be considered into the price but i don't even know where to began with that other than think ing about my "rate" times total hours or even a fair roundabout price etc.. I got some ready to burn oak and plenty of cherry and apple but will mainly burn oak with cherry wood here and there..

So is the 15 people for dinner a catering job or is it more of a sampling she set up with 15 future clients?

It's 15 people for catering but also hopes that they want to maybe choose me in the future for other events they may have..

Since this is basically for exposure, I'd have her buy the meat and then both of you decide on a fair price for labor.

Chris

Ya I was thinking that Also...i went to my local butcher and I saw they only had brisket flats and not packer briskets..they said to call 4 or 5 days in advance to get a packer brisket..starting to see how vital it is to acquire a decent meat supplier..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky