First (but not last) Tamales

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ellymae

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 21, 2009
Southeastern PA
I smoked a pork shoulder last week, and Big Al smoked a chicken on Monday while he was off and I have been wanting to try my hand at Tamales... so I did!

I gathered the ingredients.

Yes... lard... I can feel my heart...slow...as I type...
This is the recipe I used -

I simmered the chicken in a green chili sauce

And the pork in a red chili sauce

I watched this video to see how to actually put them together

With that informaiton under my belt sallied forth to make the tamales.
I mixed up the dough - had to do it by hand since I couldn't find my mixer...
Then started putting the tamales together. I think I did OK.

Into the steamer basket...

One magical hour later...

They were pretty tasty. Big Al said they were better then the ones we get at our local mexican place. I will be making them again. I next time I think I will put more spices in the masa besides salt.

Congrats on the first run with the tamales. They look great
points.gif
Ah for the old days when we could give these

Those are great looking tamales!  I made tamales once and loved them.  I need to make some more again.  You are on the right track with adding some spice to the masa.  Congrats!

icon_cool.gif

Holy Cow there girl those look awesome and I wish a could do that. You made it look easy.

Thanks guys. Next time I probably will make more.Big Al kept going back for more. We have four left. I think I may warm them up and serve them with some fried eggs for breakfast. They were a little time consuming but well worth the effort.

Elly, those look awesome!!!!!!

Can't blame Big Al for making several trips !

Kinda reminds me of the old weather report;

"Chile Today----Hot Tamale!"

Thanks,

Bear

Those tamales look great!  Maybe next time put together a double batch and freeze the leftovers.  I do that with chimichangas all the time.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I thought about that but since this was my first dip in the pool I was really just testing the water. Now that I know the water is fine there will be no stopping me.
We just finished up the last of them this morning with some eggs... yum.... but one question... is it wrong to have eggs with chicken Tamales??? :eek:

next time when you make them, don't steam the ones that you are going to freeze. that way when you wnt some just defrost them and steam them fresh.......it will be like you just made them.

Quote:
icon_cool.gif

Holy Cow there girl those look awesome and I wish a could do that. You made it look easy.
Thanks Mark - they were. If I can you can!

next time when you make them, don't steam the ones that you are going to freeze. that way when you wnt some just defrost them and steam them fresh.......it will be like you just made them.
Great tip - Thanks!!!

I need to learn to do these.
Check out the video link I posted - it was pretty good. I wasn't sure how to put them together and they explained it well.

Jump in!

Last edited:
Those fillings look beyond tasty!! and your masa and tamales -  you nailed it first time out!  I always have lard on hand; I think it's been getting a bad rap. Tamales made with crisco are just not as good.  First time I tried to make tamales I was all thumbs - my Texican sister in law just couldn't believe how bad I was at it.  You've got me thinking I should try again!

Thanks! 

Thanks guys. Next time I probably will make more.Big Al kept going back for more. We have four left. I think I may warm them up and serve them with some fried eggs for breakfast. They were a little time consuming but well worth the effort.
That sounds like a fantastic breakfast!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky