First build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Considering the garbage  "poorly engineered" smokers that sells for $200-400+....  Someone that want a smoker that works,  $500 +...

Difficult to say for sure...  Once someone has a smoker that uses little wood, and the heat is easy to control.... they will sing your praises... AMEN....  

yeahthat.gif

Dave, in this and another build thread you mention the exhaust above the CC. I just want to be clear. If I come out of the CC with the exhaust at cook grate height then 90* up I will have to make the stack the recommended height per Feldons plus the distance from grate to top of CC correct??

Yes sir. I did a lot of research and YouTube videos one the tricks I seen was to do that first. 

This

This is roughly what the stack will look like. Should I cut the elbow off and go straight down from the top or dose it not matter either way? I just like the look of it coming out of the side. 

It's fine if the stack comes out the side. Just make sure that you have the correct height and diameter of pipe for your chamber/fire box ratio.

Just ordered the Maverick ET732 Long Range Wireless Dual 2 Probe BBQ Smoker Meat Thermometer. Can't wait to try it out. Would have came in handy for the turkey we smoked for the Super Bowl. 

Dave, in this and another build thread you mention the exhaust above the CC. I just want to be clear. If I come out of the CC with the exhaust at cook grate height then 90* up I will have to make the stack the recommended height per Feldons plus the distance from grate to top of CC correct??  Yes, the height measurement doesn't start until you get to the top of the CC...
My stack will also be coming out at 90*??  Nice sweep 90 on the stack... stack height is measured from the top of the CC... 
As near as I can tell, the cook chamber is considered in the height of the stack, before the calculator...  since the cook chamber acts as part of the stack, the calculated stack must be above the cook chamber....  

If using a 90, or sweep 90, or plenum to attach the stack to the CC, the height above the CC is the measured stack height.... 

Wait, has something changed with pit design in the last couple of years?  When I built my last smoker about 2 1/2 years ago, there was only one or two versions of the calculator floating around, now there seems to be several.  At that time, the general consensus seemed to be that the calculated chimney length was total length, regardless of weather any portion of it extended into the cook chamber or not.  I built mine the exact length specified and installed it with 1/3 it's length inside the chamber.  I can tell you that it drafts perfectly as is.  My understanding was that it is about stack volume, not necessarily height.  So regardless of where the stack exits (side or top), and regardless of if or how far it extends into the chamber, the recommended length does not change.  By your logic of stack length starting at top of cook chamber, my chimney would need to be 1/3 longer than it is now, thereby adding several cubic inches to the stack's volume, I'm not convinced that's right.  In the case of a grate level, side discharge with a long sweep 90, there will be several linear inches of stack before reaching the chamber top, that's quite a bit of extra stack volume added to the calculated amount.   Remember, a stack that has more volume that needed can adversely affect draft and can act like a heat sink allowing exhaust to cool too much before exiting which encourages the formation of creosote.        

There seems to be a question about where the stack should go....  Below is a house.... consider it a smoker....   In the explanation, the location of the inlet to the chimney is not considered in the calculation...  the primary factors in calculating chimney draw are... the air inlet height... and the chimney exhaust height.... (h) .......   and the air density...   the other factors are friction and friction loss in a moving stream of air...elbows...  etc....   

So.... in conclusion....  I don't know what parameters Alien used when developing the calculator and have stated such in other threads...  I assumed Alien used the difference in height from the inlet air and stack height to make the calculator... (Alien is one smart dude) and used a theoretical average to simplify stuff for the masses....

He obviously chose some good averages as his calculator works very well.... That being said, I assumed Alien meant the height above the Cook Chamber for stack height value in the calculator...  and that is where I base my conclusions.... 

From the drawing, the length of the chimney does not enter the calculation in any part....(except for friction and friction loss) 

The chimney could be put on the roof peak.... and be 24" tall...... 

Turn4Fun.....  "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Wait, has something changed with pit design in the last couple of years?"[/color]

Edited by Dave 

I needed a starting point to help folks build their smokers and this is what I chose... I can reference back to it and explain my calculations based on Aliens calculations...   When I get "general consensus"... I try to prove which ideas make the most sense to me, based on some sort of proven theory....  I could be totally wrong on the way I interpret Aliens models...  either way... not a big deal... Seems Alien left enough leeway for the smokers to work well regardless of how you interpret his numbers.... 

Your smoker working very well is a testimony to the mans genius....   

Because we both chose a different path to interpretation does not infer one of us is in error...  I could not find any "hard and fast" rules for the calculator.... 

Edited by Dave:

In the drawing above.... the chimney could start in the basement and would still need to be the height determined by (h)....

So.... you could have a 20' chimney or a 6' chimney.... as long as (h) was satisfied in the equation....

[h3]Natural Draft Head[/h3]
The natural draft is caused by the difference in outside and inside air density. The natural draft head can therefore be expressed as
dp[sub]mmH2O[/sub]  = (ρ[sub]o[/sub]  - ρ[sub]r[/sub]) h         (1)

where

dp[sub]mmH2O[/sub]  = head in millimeter water column (mm H[sub]2[/sub]O)

ρ[sub]o[/sub]  = density outside air (kg/m[sup]3[/sup])

ρ[sub]r[/sub]  = density inside air (kg/m[sup]3[/sup])

h = height between outlet and inlet air (m)

Last edited:
Hold on let me get my boots shit is getting deep!! Thanks for clearing that up. This is all new to me. I am learning a lot just surfing around on here!!

Billie, Looks good....  Nice RF plate with drain, nice sliding grate...  Is the lever for adjusting the air to the fire ??   Interesting...  can you get a pic of the air inlet it is adjusting....   something all our members could learn from... Looks different and that is what we are all about...    and what is the chipping hammer head for ??  another valuable learning experience...     OK, I see now.... a handle for moving the smoker around... great idea...... 

Dave

Thanks. I will take some more pics for you. dave I made the stack longer than you recommend I think it looks better and it will keep the smoke out of my face. Is the hight crucial? You recommend 18" I have it at 24". 

Shouldn't be a problem... If it draws too much, and pulls cold air in through any leaks, like doors or whatever, you could damper it down with a "swivel" plate on top of the stack...    I'm not familiar with all the parameters that were used to develop the calculator so tweaking the numbers is not a problem if you know where to adjust for them....    

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky