First brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worldbfreebase

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 13, 2020
so i have never smoked a brisket. I have a mb 1050 and an 11# brisket. There are only 2 of us so i don't necessarily want to cook the whole thing.

Any suggestions on how to portion it? I am also considering using part of it for my first try at pastrami.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

WBF

If it's a whole packer you can separate the point from the flat. That's the easiest way to portion one. I've done it several times.

Reactions: TNJAKE

First attempt I highly recommend you smoke it whole! Flats by themselves are definitely more difficult to deal with and get moist results. Assuming its a full packer (point & flat) with a sticker weight of 11#s, after trimming it will most likely be closer to 9 #'s. Weight what you trim off so you know. If you don't have a vacuum foodsaver, get one! When you are done eating your fill, cut the remaining into portions the two of you would consume, vac bag them and freeze. BTW, smoked brisket makes great chili.

Ok. So i already trimmed it. Weighs on at 7.9 pounds. Might have been a little aggressive on the trim. I only have one arm right now so I had to guide the g.f. to trim it.

I saw in the pastrami cook thread that he put a tray above the meat with the fat on it to render off and drip. Is there anything wrong with doing this on a whole brisket fat side down?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky