FIRST BRISKET

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

christophcbv

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Happy Canada Day.  What better day to do my first brisket.  Today is the day...  Got myself a 6lb USDA brisket, put a nice rub on it last night, read a ton of forums on here over the past few days (great information by the way) and ready to go in just a little bit to do my first ever brisket.  There are so many different ways, so I really think its up to the cook's decision on how to do it and do a little trial by fire, or trial by error.  My quick plan is to smoke it between 225-250 until up around 190-195, pull and let sit.  Anticipating 1 hr 15 min per pound.  Not gonna wrap (this time) and prepare a bbq sauce and au jus sauce and see how it turns out.  Thoughts?  Additions?  Things to watch out for?  Pics to follow as the day progresses.  

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!  I'm doing my second brisket this weekend.  The first was a little tough and dry, but it was a little bugger and I think it was just too small.  I'm going to try to go for one about 6-8 lbs this time.  I think the jus sounds great.

One thing I do with butts, whole chickens, and briskets is I finish them in an oven in a roasting pan (on grates to raise the meat up) with beer, onions, garlic, and salt and pepper.  It creates a jus that is just amazing.  Let the meat get to 190 and then roast in the oven on 300 till you reach 200.  Delicious!

Last edited:
Just know that Brisket can not be cooked to a specific temperature and be tender every time. I have had brisket perfect at 185 and as high as 215. At 190 or so you want to start poking it with a probe or toothpick or something and when it goes in like butter you are done cooking. Don't forget to wrap it up in foil and stow it in a cooler for an hour or so after that. It really makes it even more tender. The number one reason for dry brisket is undercooking and not resting it correctly. Good luck and don't forget the Q view.

Just know that Brisket can not be cooked to a specific temperature and be tender every time. I have had brisket perfect at 185 and as high as 215. At 190 or so you want to start poking it with a probe or toothpick or something and when it goes in like butter you are done cooking. Don't forget to wrap it up in foil and stow it in a cooler for an hour or so after that. It really makes it even more tender. The number one reason for dry brisket is undercooking and not resting it correctly. Good luck and don't forget the Q view.
See, I did not know that.  I will keep a close eye on mine when I smoke it since it is a smaller cut.  Thanks!

I've read it can turn out well both ways, whether you wrap it or not.  The main thing, like you said, each one is different, so once that toothpick slides through, you're good to go!

It seems to be cooking quickly...  90 min and its already at 140.  Shall I predict a stall in the near future..?? lol.

It was out of the fridge for 20 min... and the cooking/smoking temp has been 225-250... 

That does seem like a very short time to get up to 140, but you still have a ways to go yet.  Let it go and see what happens.  I'm really interested to see what happens....my brisket is only 2 lbs!!!

It still stall, but is now at 180 after 4 hrs...  starting to speed up again. 

Yep... so it did stall and it turned out to be cooking/smoking for 5 hrs plus and I took it out and let it sit for 20 min approximately before cutting.  It was great.. company loved it (I wanted to wrap, however no one wanted to wait, so they get what it is) and it was good.  Rub had some kick, but the meat was good and cant complain.  Here are some pics... Thoughts?

Pictures look great!  Nice bark and looks juicy, hard to make those folks wait.

Last edited:
Nice !!   Looks pretty tasty   Good Job

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky