first brisket tonight!!???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
hey every one its been raining here in Fl for the past week and a half and i work outside. Well today I said screw it and went home early so I am gonna try my luck with my first brisket tonight. My wife is at the store now picking me up a flat and i got the somker going with some oak. I will post pics and I'm sure some questions as i get going.

should I trim any of the fat off of this flat?

Depends on what you get. If you get a full packer with a fat cap on it then trim it down to approx. 1/4" thick. If you get just a flat with a little bit of fat on it then I would leave it alone.

Remember this months Throwdown is Brisket. Save you pictures and enter it and have a chance as some great prizes.

ok i put the brisket in 3:30 the smoker temp was at 233 it's 4:12 now and the meat temp is reading 111 is this normal? it seems to be climbing to fast!!

ok i put the brisket in 3:30 the smoker temp was at 233 it's 4:12 now and the meat temp is reading 111 is this normal? it seems to be climbing to fast!!
Im assuming its in the  thick part of the brisket. I have seen them rise quickly like that and then it stalls pretty hard core. If it keeps flying up like that you may want to check your probe in boiling water to ensure its correct. Also is there a good fat cap or was it all trimmed by the store?

icon_cool.gif

Now Br\ian is giving you some really good advice you don't want to have the probe not in the best/thickest section of the brisket. You don't want any tough brisket. Now as far as your fat cap I personally don't trim my brisket or butts and shoulders for that fact either. I'm still of the old mind set that "Fat=Flavor"

the probe is in the thickest part of the meat. as for the fat cap it was trimmed by the store but still had some left on it not as much as would think but there was still some on it.

it is stalled right now at 154 for an hour now
I dealt with the stall this past weekend. Had me freakin out. It actually not only stalled, but went down in temp!

Don't rush it, don't adjust your heat. It will all of the sudden come out of the stall, and jump up fairly fast.

But just let it do it's thing. I wish I would have had more patience this past weekend w/ mind

ya i have learned about the stall when iI started smoking butts I just hope this thing will be done in time for the wife and her son when they get back from football tonight.

NO,LENNY
icon_exclaim.gif
Leave that love on there
tongue.gif
Don't want to spoil the thing
icon_redface.gif

Get her in a 220*F Sauna and leave it alone
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif

Use your other equipment for the sides
cool.gif
and let the smokedo it's majic
wink.gif

And you must remember..."DON'T LOOK TILL IT'S DONE
icon_exclaim.gif
" Patience is the secret,

Pop another one and let her cruise...............

and as always,have fun and,

temp said 165 so i pulled it and put it in a foil pan and covered it with foil this took maybe 6 min. or so.

when i put the probe back in it was readin 150.

I thought i had the probe in the thickest spot but I guess not!

well we will see how it turns out I guess.

Good luck to ya Lenny,

If you said what the flat weighed I missed it. Sorry.

The ones that I did this past weekend ran for about 12 hours in the sauna and another 4 in the hot box. My temps ran from 200 to 240 on occasion at a time or two.

I wrapped mine when I hit......... well I was drinking a little so I don't exactly remember what temp I wrapped at. I know thats bad but thats what happened.

Close to 200 they went in the hotbox and took a break.

They had a great smoke ring and excellent flavor thru and thru. May not have won a first place since they were just a little on the fall apart side. But thats the best way isnt it.

I hate to say it but I bet your flat is gonna run a little past dinner time. I hope I'm way off but 3:30 till now just doesnt seem like that long.

Any chance your taking pictures?

icon_cool.gif

Now Br\ian is giving you some really good advice you don't want to have the probe not in the best/thickest section of the brisket. You don't want any tough brisket. Now as far as your fat cap I personally don't trim my brisket or butts and shoulders for that fact either. I'm still of the old mind set that "Fat=Flavor"
What about the fat in between the point and the flat, Do you open it up?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky