First Brisket Since March.. QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philh

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Hi Everybody..

This is the first time I have cooked a brisket since our 25th Anniversary Party last March..

Heck my son broke his arm right after this or right before I can't remember.. This happens when you start to get old.. 
ROTF.gif

I had emergency surgery at the end of June.. So our smoke season got cut short.. But I'm back now..

Last week I did a Pork Butt in the Pork Forum & it turned out great. Now to see if I can remember how to do a Brisket.. lol

I have the smoker preheating as I type this & have already seasoned the Brisket. It is a full packer I got at Wal-Mart..

It is 11.22 lbs.. I seasoned it with Sea Salt & Course Ground Pepper. That's it.. I'm going to use Oak chunks for the smoke & this seems to add the rest of the seasoning we need..

I will cook it at 225-235 smoker temp.. I will hope to reach a IT of 195* by tomorrow afternoon..

I will keep everyone posted as the smoke goes along.. Either good or bad results... Hopefully good.. 
439.gif

Here's a couple of pics of the brisket.

Here it is naked.. As you see it takes up the whole grate.. This is going into a Masterbuilt XL Propane. So that is a big grate..

Here it is all dressed up. All we used was Sea Salt & Coarse Ground Pepper.

Sorry for the messy counter..

Thanks for looking..

Phil

The brisket is now on the smoker..

Nice thin blue smoke..

I don't know if you can see the smoke coming from the chunks or not.. Here is another one without the flash...

I can see it better in this one.. This batch of chunks will last for hours.. They will smolder slowly..

Below is my smoking buddy.. He always comes to the gate & watches me when I tend the smoker. He is a gentle giant & soul.

I am 5' 10" & the top of my head barely comes up to the top of his back.. He is big.. 16.2 hands & about 1500 pounds.. I'm glad he thinks he's a lap dog..

To give you an idea how big he is, that is a 5 foot fence he is standing in front of.. 
ROTF.gif

Phil

Last edited:
We are almost there. The internal temp of the meat is 194*. The wife should be home in about an hour so everything should work out fine.

I'll pull the brisket off of the smoker somewhere between 195*-199*... We like our meat done more than most.. 
icon_eek.gif

I'll let it rest while she get the sides cooked up..

I'll post more pics after I slice it..

Phil

What was the total cook time in the smoker? I'm trying to get an idea how long my 14 pounder will take this weekend.
Looks great
Total cook time was about 25 hours. I didn't wrap at anytime.. That always take longer when you do that.
Alright that baby has rested enough.  How about that Qview.  My mouth is watering.  Like the horse.
Wife is putting the left overs away as I type this. Give me a few minutes & I will have the pics up..

Phil..

P.S. The brisket was to die for. I didn't get the smoke ring I usually do but the flavor & texture of the meat was right on.. I have switched brands of propane.. maybe that has something to do with it..

Here are a couple of quick pics..

Here is one with it resting..

One with part of it sliced. Of course I separated the point from the flat before I sliced the flat..

I had a small smoke ring. I usually get a bigger one. We had a friend over & she wants me to teach her how to cook briskets.. lol

It tasted a whole lot better than it looked.

We will chop up the point for chopped BBQ sandwiches..

Thanks for looking..

Phil

P.S. It tasted great.. just didn't look so hot.. I like eating mistakes... 
ROTF.gif

Last edited:
Nice!  I'm debating on using just pepper and salt for my first brisket next week, or a more complex rub.  How much did you get it for per lb?  Do you know if it was USDA choice or select? 

I'm trying to find the best deal, seems like $2.79 per lb for USDA select is the best deal near me.  Hope mine turns out as good!

Nice!  I'm debating on using just pepper and salt for my first brisket next week, or a more complex rub.  How much did you get it for per lb?  Do you know if it was USDA choice or select? 

I'm trying to find the best deal, seems like $2.79 per lb for USDA select is the best deal near me.  Hope mine turns out as good!
I don't know what USDA grading it was. I bought it at Wal-Mart.. It was $2.18 a pound.

I have tried complex rubs on my briskets & the family prefers just plain old salt & pepper. We also smoked it with Oak & that adds a bunch of flavor in itself.

Cook yours low & slow & you will also have a great brisket. All it takes is patience.. 
30.gif

Phil

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky