First Brisket (Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdboes

Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Missoula Montana
Tried my hand at smoking brisket this weekend as I had part of one from a portion of cow I ordered a while back. Put a rub on it and set it in the smoker at 225F for 7 hours with apple juice in the water pan and sprayed it occasionally with pineapple juice. Then wrapped it in foil with a little apple juice for 2.5 hours. Then let it take a little more smoke for .5 hours before pulling it.  Turned out pretty well I believe as it was gone by the end of the night and no one complained
icon_biggrin.gif

P1200061.JPG
f5e29300_P1200061.jpg

8c6fa3c0_P1200066.jpg

c47ef08c_P1210068.jpg

9c4a1215_P1210072.jpg

End result was good but I think it could have been a little more juicy as well maybe I let it go to long and should have pulled it earlier? However the way the day was wasn't home much to watch it. Good news is I have another one so well try again.

No pics of it sliced I left my camera at home and we took it to some friends house for dinner. Next time ill get one or two!

Most of us don't put it back on the smoker after we foil them, maybe that's what dried it out. 

icon_cool.gif

First off congrats one your first brisket smoke and it look pretty good to. Now I have one question. Did or do you have a probe thermo meter??? You will hear this alot here in the very near future. We smoke by temp not time. In your explanation of your smoke I heard alot about time and nothing about temp. So the way we smoke a brisket here is put it into a smoker that about 230°to 250° till it gets around 165° internal temp. Then you will put it into some heavy duty foil with some spritzing liquid and then put it back into the smoke till it reaches 195° (for slicing) or 205° for pulling. then we put it into a dry cooler for at least an hour but more if you need. Then serve. It will be tender and really moist to. So I would recommend that you sign up for the E-course. It's free and it will give you alot of the basic knowledge that you will need to smoke just about anything. So That's my couple of pennies.

Thanks for the advice!  I am planning on trying another one this weekend I will post pictures and try monitoring the temperature.

I rub mine and smoke them at 225⁰ until I have an internal temp of 195⁰.

Then I foil and cooler for an hour or so, sometimes with AJ or beef broth sometimes not.

Either way I have never had a dry one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky