First Brisket...Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pintobean

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Frankfort, IL
Used Geek's basic brisket method with a few additions to the rub (cayenne, garlic powder, and paprika). Used a 4lb flat cut of Brisket...was going to get a whole brisket, but me and the wife will never eat 12lbs of meat, so I went with a nicely trimmed flat cut of Brisket from Costco that had been packed this morning, not packed in brine or anything. I also skipped the injection of the beef stock in Geek's method. Had a few friends over for dinner and we pretty much finished the sucker off. Came out good...I rushed a little at the end since I knew people were coming, and brought the heat up to 260-280. It probably wasn't quite as tender as it could have been had I let it go another hour or so, but all in all, everyone loved it, so I guess it was alright. It cooked 5.5 hours total...3.5 with smoke, 2 covered.

Fresh Cut

I trimmed a little of this fat, but left about an 1/8" layer

Rubbed and soaked in Cola

Just thrown on the ECB

A few "money shots"

Last edited:
Looks pretty dang good from my house1

It may have benifited from another hour in the smoker but it looks like a winner.

icon_cool.gif

Now your brisket looks great and it has quite the smoke ring too. Now I think you should try a whole brisket cause after all there is such a thing as frezing it for leftovers for another day. Then I would re-heat it using a steamer pot and you will be amazed on how good it will be. All moist and to me the steamer brings out all the smokey flavor out of the meat.

Thanks all. Yeah, I was wondering about reheating BBQ. Is a steamer pot (crock-pot) the best way to reheat BBQ? Do you have to add water or liquid when reheating? I would never use a microwave, and think an oven would dry it out. I would definitely smoke large portions and freeze it.

Pintobean, looking good.

Dont ever worry about making too much that's what freezers are four.

You can vacuum seal then reheat later in the bag in boiling water.

Pintobean, looking good.

Dont ever worry about making too much that's what freezers are four.

You can vacuum seal then reheat later in the bag in boiling water.

Thanks, I like that idea. Definitely shouldn't lose any moisture that way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky