First brisket in years

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nmaust

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 4, 2013
Dallas-Ft. Worth
I haven't smoked a brisket in over 5 years, because my old Chargriller Duo didn't hold heat well enough. I just got my new pit from Pits by J.J. and am throwing the brisket on over pecan wood around 1am. The lump charcoal is almost ready, & then I'll add the wood. I'm going to use a basic Texas rub of black pepper and salt but added a little brown sugar (my wife spent years in KC), some garlic and a little cayenne for some heat. It's a CAB brisket, & I trimmed the fat cap down to about a quarter inch. It's not the most marbled brisket, so I plan on cooking with the cap up. I'll post pictures along the way.

Cant wait to see the finish. Congrats on the new smoker

2eva5aze.jpg
Cooking down the pecan logs.
evujyrag.jpg
Before applying rub.
ery2ahyq.jpg
Rubbed and waiting for the fire to be right.
ydy9ymeh.jpg

egare3av.jpg
One hour in. The fire is tricky tonight since it's in the low 50's. I'm having to add a lot more wood than expected.

zatudy2y.jpg
etatunum.jpg

Just wrapped at 170 & threw on a bone-in pork shoulder. There's going to be a lot of leftover meat to stick in the deep freeze.

Thanks...it's probably going to be done earlier than planned, but that just means we get a little snack before dinner which will be brisket & pulled pork poboys. I started a football season tradition a few years ago called "Eat the opponent" in which I grill something from the town of the team the Cowboys are playing. It's a great way to find new recipes, & the wife seems to enjoy it.

Question on Brisket -

If I was to do a Brisket on Friday can I let it sit in the cooler till Saturday and it will be ok to cut?

I was wondering something similar today. This one cooked faster than planned, so I put it in the cooler wrapped in foil & towels at 190 IT around 1:00 but didn't cut it until a little before 7. It was still nice and hot, but I'm not sure how much longer it would've stayed that way.

great looking brisket.

When holding meat you want to keep it above 140 degrees. i have held pork butts for 7 hrs in a cooler wrapped in towels and they were still at 160 when i pulled

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky