First Brisket in my Masterbuilt 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trying2smoketex

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Burleson, Texas
Happy New Year Friends,

I decided to start the year and enjoy the playoffs minus the Cowboys, with a Texas Brisket from my new Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker.

I started Friday night by purchasing a 12 lb brisket from HEB.

I leaned off a lot of the fat side, down to about 1/4".

I was so amazed with the use of mustard on my recent Pork Butt, I decided to rub the brisket down with mustard followed up with an Adkins packaged store rub. I wrapped it in plastic rap then into the fridge for 12 hours.

On Saturday morning, I heated my MES 40 to 225 degrees with water tray filled to mark and dry mesquite wood chips deployed.

I placed the brisket on and added smoke at approximately hour intervals for the first 6 hours. I opened the smoker at the 5 hour mark to remove some ribs I had also smoked.

I kept the brisket at 225 degrees for 9.5 hours then cut the heat on the smoker, but left the meat inside the smoker for another 1 hour. I then removed the brisket which displayed a fantastic bark and wrapped it in foil for another 2 hours then into the fridge.

This afternoon, I reheated it in the oven at 350 degrees which gave the house a "smokehouse" aroma!

The brisket was a little drier on the lean end than I prefer but the remaining 80% down to the cap was spectacular !

May I recommend them with buttered tortillas.
:sausage:

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the comment!

The brisket was very good! I wasn't sure how things would work out using the mustard on the beef, but as with the pork, it left no after taste but did allow me to get a nice rub on the beef.

I purchased Jeff's book yesterday and will be looking forward to making some of his legendary rubs and sauces.

The new MES Smoker has not let me down yet!

Stay warm out there

Scott

looks good
Looks-Great.gif

Thank you Foamheart!

The brisket was not one of my Best, but there were sure no complaints!

It was a bit dry for me so I'll have to work on that.

Stay warm out there

Scott

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the comment!

The brisket was very good! I wasn't sure how things would work out using the mustard on the beef, but as with the pork, it left no after taste but did allow me to get a nice rub on the beef.

I purchased Jeff's book yesterday and will be looking forward to making some of his legendary rubs and sauces.

The new MES Smoker has not let me down yet!

Stay warm out there

Scott
Even if the mustard didn't cook off… I ask ya. Who don't like mustard on a beef sammich?

Honestly Tryin, Very nice smoke.  We Texans like our briskets. But it is a difficult meat to cook exactly right. A challenge. Pork butts are typically more forgiving. That being said, we Johnson County boys like our beef!  Remember what you did. Try tweaking it next time. Search and ask questions here on the forum. You'll be smoking competition  grade stuff before you know it.

Brian

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky