First Brisket - First smoke on 26" kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Well I now know what all this Brisket talk is about . In 30 plus years of cooking / smoking on Weber kettles , I have never done a brisket . I had never actually eaten brisket .

I recently bought a 26" Weber kettle . Figured the first cook should be brisket . I have to say just looking at the 26 , I love it . After the performance of the first smoke on it ,, that feeling is 10 fold . This thing is awesome .
20190828_202706.jpg 20190828_220848.jpg

So I bought a choice brisket from GFS . 11 plus pounds untrimmed .
20190831_212150.jpg 20190831_212203.jpg
No pics after the trim , but if it looked like it wasn't needed or to thin I launched it . Trimmed the fat to about 1/4"

I ground up Black pepper and Himalayan pink salt . Put a thick coat on , wrapped and in the fridge over night .
So at this point I'm not sure how to move forward , because of cook time , what temp will the kettle run at ,,, when to start it .
So lets shorten this up , Here's how it went / turned out .
Got some good input from reaching out to some of the guys .
Sunday night I did a test with the snake method .
20190901_163156.jpg 20190901_175636.jpg
Good burn time , so I ran the snake around the rest of the way , added mesquite chunks every 6 inches . Put the meat on @ 6 pm Sunday night .
The kettle ran 8 hours at 260 degrees . No dips / no spikes . Impressive . I pulled the brisket off and wrapped in foil at 2 am . Snake still had a foot or so left . Flat was 174 and stalled . I put it in the oven at 225 and went to bed . 7 am Monday the temp alarm goes off , 205 both ends . Didn't probe . Got back up and in a cooler , wrapped in a towel .

Stays in the cooler 4 hours . It's down to 154 . I reach out to a couple members . Back in the oven @ 11 am set to 170 . Stays in the oven 'til 5:00 . Waiting for my son to get off work .

Sliced the flat . Most fell apart , but it's really good . Very moist , a bit dry on the very end . I did inject this with a phosphate injection .

20190902_174848.jpg 20190902_175241.jpg
We ate almost all the flat the first night . I will have to say that course salt and peppers rub is perfect on this .

So I got a tip from a Texan , to fridge the point end , slice and re heat . Perfect . Melt in your mouth , just perfect .
20190903_094434.jpg
Second day , lunch
20190903_094741.jpg

Supper , added some spicy sweet pickles to mine . No sauce needed .
20190903_180021.jpg 20190903_180052.jpg
I'm very happy with this . Really good . Not a text book brisket cook , I know . The performance of that 26 and the out come on my first brisket ,,, I'm happy with both . I had so much fun with this .
Had some good help and advice from Farmer , Tallbm , Schlotz and others .
Thanks for lookin .

Looks great chopsaw! Ive only done 2 briskets ever and they both turned out well but definitely room to improve! Awesome first cook on that new toy of yours. Great way to break it in!

Reactions: chopsaw
Man that looks good. Way better then my first time , second time. LOL

I enjoyed your whole write up, but the best part was your joy, and the fact that you had so much fun with this. Sometimes that should be what its all about, not just putting a pile of food on the table. Thanks for sharing, it's so much better to say " I feel your joy ", than " I feel your pain " Stay enthusiastic !

Nice brisket man! Way better than my first time too! Never smoked on a kettle but all these posts lately have me wanting to get one. Although I’m pretty sure my wife would kill me if I brought anything else home for awhile after the griddle purchase! Points for sure

Nice brisket man! Way better than my first time too! Never smoked on a kettle but all these posts lately have me wanting to get one. Although I’m pretty sure my wife would kill me if I brought anything else home for awhile after the griddle purchase! Points for sure

Ummmm, yeah, honey, it's an um, ah, oh yeah, a 26" mini satelite dish, yeah, a TV dish. I know it's pretty small...,but hey, it MIGHT work. If not, we can figure out something to use it for, right ?

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about the 26” kettle....miss that charcoal and hickory flavor....I just need to fire up the WSM for my non pellet fix.

Chopsaw lost his brisket virginity, and in a big way. Man that looks sooooooooo gooooooood. Excellent Job. Your gonna love that 26" - use it well.

Point for sure
Chris

Man that looks good.
Thanks ,, It was good . I was surprised . Thanks for the help and advice
I enjoyed your whole write up,
Thanks . Brought me back to stick burner days .

Nice brisket man!
Thanks Vol . It was melt in your mouth .
I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about the 26” kettle...
Chris hooked me ,, I'm happy I bought it . No regrets at all .

Chopsaw lost his brisket virginity, and in a big way. Man that looks sooooooooo gooooooood. Excellent Job. Your gonna love that 26"
Chris thanks for that comment . So much room on that 26 , I love it .

Rich that looks amazing thats all I can say amazing
Thanks Richie . Can't wait to do another .

Looks really good. Weber sure has things figured out, don't they?
It's a cookin machine , only one cook , but the way it held temp was awesome .
Looks great and I bet it tasted amazing. Like!
Eddie it did , Thanks bud .
Congrats on the new Weber and congrats on that first brisket!!! Looks AMAZING for sure!!!
Thank you for the comments .

Best way to break-in a bad habit. Congratulations! I like the entire meal- Brisket Beans and Tots.
Don

Fantastic looking brisket and write up!
Congrats on the carousel too, it was definitely worthy of making it.

You are ready more brisket adventures and I'm looking forward to reading about them, keep it up! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky