first brisket coming soon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bkemp00

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Yorkville, Il
I am smoking a brisket this weekend and looking forward to it. I am open to suggestions/tips.

i do have a few questions:

Fat cap up or down?

Flip during cook?

inject or skip?

Rub applied over night or a few hours before?

You're gonna get a lot of points of view.  To each his own.

Fat cap up or down?  Depends on your pit.  If fired from below (UDS, WSM) fat cap down.  If fired from the side fat cap up.

Flip during cook?  I don't

inject or skip?  Some do, I skip

Rub applied over night or a few hours before?  I apply rub after I light the chimney and let it sit while the pit is coming to temp

Last edited:
I will be smoking my first brisket tomorrow http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151175/first-time-smoker-smoking-a-beef-brisket

I have a ECB and I will have the fat cap down (because I am a new smoker and I am more concerned with protecting my meat than I am with the extra basting from the fat; however I could be wrong here)

As of right now I don't think I will be flipping (but that may change tomorrow)

I will be injecting (my rub mixed with water, apple vinger, and EVOO)

I applied my rub tonight... (which is the night before I will be smoking it.)

Hopefully you can learn from some of the many mistakes I will be making tomorrow lol.

Last edited:
I smoked a smaller packer in my Gourmet several years ago...I did a full trim and point/flat separation with a 12lb packer and had to trim off a chunk from the flat as well, but it fit nicely afterwards. It was a challenge for me to keep the bullet happy, if I recall, but it was very fun smoke, never-the-less.

Let us know if you need any more help...and enjoy that 1st brisket!!!

Eric

She's moving right along but have to run out for a new probe. Stupid just seperated from the probe

Ha!!! You lived to see it to the finish!!! Looks moist and tasty!!!

I didn't catch if you smoker has been modded or is stock, but there are mods you can do to let ashes drop off the cols so you fire doesn'r snuff itself out, and for fire control (chamber temp). If I get a chance I'll do a bit of digging in the charcoal smoker forum for the ECB bullets to help yiou find info on what others have done to theirs. My Gourmet is totally different with a better charcoal pan and a base, but they do share the same grates, drum diameter, etc.

Smoke and learn...do some mods and smoke some more!!! LOL!!!

Eric

I added a ball valve to the base. Cut out the bottom of the pan and added a weber grate for ash. Added a lid vent. Added a nipple valve also to the base.

Was tasty. Could have taken it off abbot sooner. Little dry in some areas. Wrapped it at 190 ish and should have done it sooner

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky