1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FIRST BRISKET & BURNT ENDS ON THE LANG

Discussion in 'Beef' started by SmokinAl, Aug 19, 2016.

1. b-one

b-one Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Looks great Al, never thought about the combo brisky sammie!:drool

2. lancep

lancep Master of the Pit

That is one smooth lookin brisket Al! Points for sure!!! Looks like you're dialing that Lang in something fierce. Can't wait to see what you got on deck for next time!
    Lance

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks Dan! I appreciate it!

I thought the same thing about the grate temps on a RF.

But it actually worked out good, because I really like to have a pan of water in my smoker.

I was just trying to figure out the best place to put it. And now I have the perfect spot.

Al
    Thanks B! I never planned it, it just kind of happened, both plates were sitting there & I just piled it all on the buns.

It was very good & I will do it again for sure.

Tonight we are going to chop some of the leftover brisket up & make some chili.

May even chop some of the burnt ends for that too.

Al

4. Bummed

Bummed Meat Mopper

Great job as usual AL!

5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks Lance!

It's been so hot here lately I think I may give the Lang a rest for a couple of weeks.

At least that's what I'm saying now.

Thanks for the point too!

Al

6. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

A couple of weeks? I'll bet you don't last 6 days....

:biggrin:

7. lancep

lancep Master of the Pit

:yeahthat:

8. SmokinAl

Thank you Sir!

Al
    Ha Ha, the sad thing is your probably right!

I was already looking in the freezer to see if there was anything in there that just had to be smoked.

Al

9. disco

disco Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I just did my first brisket and will be posting soon. However, I am most upset that you didn't post this great thread until after I had done mine. I needed the information! Tsk.

Points for a great brisket despite the bad timing.

Disco

10. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SA, Awesome looking brisket and burnt ends, I am jealous ! [​IMG]  [​IMG]

11. SmokinAl

Thanks a lot guys!!

Al

12. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Al sorry I left a point the other day, mustn't of hit submit on the comment.Looks great never tried burnt ends Thanks for sharing

Richie

[​IMG]  

13. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice looking brisket AL. Sure looks tender, and those burnt ends, well........

Gary

14. SmokinAl

Thanks a lot guys!

Al

15. wo44

wo44 Fire Starter

My GOD that looks amazing [​IMG]I'm coming to your house to eat and to learn

16. SmokinAl

Thank you my friend!

Al

17. beef_chief

beef_chief Fire Starter

Sorry for commenting on an old post, but I'm smoking my first brisket on Saturday and using this thread as a guide. Can you explain the logic behind using a pan for 2 pieces versus putting it directly on the grate for the whole packer? I ask because I plan on separating the point and flat like you did (and potentially cutting the flat in half) to decrease the cook time.

18. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Here's part of the reason it's in the pan.

IMG_20180614_104142.jpg

Look at that liquid.. bet that helps make for some juicy meat.
    He may have wanted it to cook more evenly and could deal with his sliced flat and burnt ends separate as each got finished.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  19. SmokinAl

Yep, Johnny is right. If I smoke a flat or point by itself I always smoke it in a pan, sitting in the juice.
    In my opinion you get a much better result smoking in a pan, and you have some nice juice to make an Au Jus.
    Also in this case it is easier to make burnt ends, when the point is already separated from the flat, because they rarely get done at the same time.
    Al

beef_chief likes this.