First brisket attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sanbrew

Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Denver-ish CO
Hi all,

Here is the plan for my first attempt at brisket today. I'll be using an MES30, mesquite and apple chips. It's a ~3lb brisket, I plan on giving 3.5-4 hours at 225* before wrapping and letting it rest in a cooler. I put some rub on this morning, will keep it in the fridge until an hour before it goes in the smoke house. Any advice? does this seem like an good starting point? I'll get some photos of the finished product. 

Cheers,

Andy

It sounds like a good plan except for the time limit your putting on it.

You need a good thermometer to check the internal meat temp.

The brisket will be probe tender somewhere between 195-205.

When it gets to 195 stick a toothpick in it in several places to see if it's done.

The toothpick should go in with little to no resistance, like room temp butter.

If it doesn't, just let it cook until it does.

Good luck!

Al

I have to agree with Al on the timing.

I like to use the internal temp for knowing when it's done.

A small Brisket Flat can dry out on you, if you aren't careful.

Here's a Step by Step I did on a small Brisket Flat:

Brisket Flat                    

Bear

Thanks Al, those times were my best guess, not limits at all. Luckily today, this is all I have planned so I can wait as long as it takes!

Thanks Bear,

I plan to use the meat probe that cames with the MES 30. Is that good enough for now? I figure there are better thermometers out there.

Thanks Bear,

I plan to use the meat probe that cames with the MES 30. Is that good enough for now? I figure there are better thermometers out there.
Hopefully it will be close enough until you get another one.

I never trust the Meat Probe that comes with them, or the smoker temp, actually.

I use a Maverick ET-732 with two probes. They are easy to check for accuracy in a pot of boiling water. That's the only way to know for sure.

I trust my Mavericks.

Bear

Hopefully it will be close enough until you get another one.

I never trust the Meat Probe that comes with them, or the smoker temp, actually.

I use a Maverick ET-732 with two probes. They are easy to check for accuracy in a pot of boiling water. That's the only way to know for sure.
I trust my Mavericks.

Bear

Wow, those are priced really reasonably. I'll have to get one ordered sometime soon.

Thanks for the advice!

I'd call it a success! It ended up taking just over 5 hours before I pulled it off the smoker at 193 degrees. I had wrapped it when it stalled at 163 for an hour, next time I plan to just up the temp a bit and wrap in foil at 190 before the rest in hopes of getting a better bark. Learned a bit today, had a good time doing it and the meat tasted great.

Last edited:
I'd call it a success! It ended up taking just over 5 hours before I pulled it off the smoker at 193 degrees. I had wrapped it when it stalled at 163 for an hour, next time I plan to just up the temp a bit and wrap in foil at 190 before the rest in hopes of getting a better bark. Learned a bit today, had a good time doing it and the meat tasted great.

Looks Great Sanbrew!!
drool.gif

Nice Job!
icon14.gif

Let me give you one more tip:

It's best to slice Brisket across grain, and once it's cooked it can be hard to tell which way the grain is going.

However it's easy to tell when it's raw, so make a slice mark or two before you smoke it.

Then it will be easy to slice it in the right direction when it's smoked.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky