First Brisket and chicken on Pit Boss gasser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Glenn

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Knoxville, Tenn
A few weeks ago I bought a Brisket at Costco and without really knowing better I cut it into 3 pieces before freezing. Decided I was ready to try cooking the flat, which was 2 of the pieces. After thawing I seasoned with SPOG, got the pit ready and put it on about midnight last night, not really knowing how long it would take. Got the temp stabilized around 225, the maze smoking good, the temperature alarms set and went to bed. Got 2 temp alarms during the night. I think I had the range set too tight. 215 to 240. By the time I got out to check the temps were back in line. Woke up about 9:15 to internal temps of 185 on the thinner piece and about 180 on the other. About 10:30 the thinner piece hit 203 and a skewer went in with virtually no resistance so I pulled it, wrapped and put in the cooler. The other piece took till about 11:30 IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0537.jpg

Since I was finished earlier than I thought I would be I went to the store and bought 2 whole chickens. I wanted to do them hot for a good skin but my pit got to 285 and set there. Outside temperature was about 50 and breezy As the chicken warmed up the pit gradually got to about 310. Here's what they look like.

IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0540.JPG

I am real happy with how everything turned out. We cut one piece of the brisket for a late lunch- early supper It was melt in your mouth tender, moist and delicious. One chicken will be just to eat and the other will go in a pot of chicken and dumplings. I have never made them with smoked chicken.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
Oh! Chicken and Dumplings! One of my favorites growing up.
Smoked Chicken and Dumplings sounds Great!

Well done Big Glenn!

Sounds and looks like a fine cook you got there Glen.

Point for sure.
Chris

If anyone is considering smoked chicken and dumplings, don’t bother. I and my family thought it gave the whole dish an off taste that was not very appealing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky