First Brined Turkey (with QView)

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by link, May 28, 2013.

1. link

link Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I have smoked many a turkey but I have never thought to brine it. After ready many posts here (thanks to all) I thought I would give it a try. Using a recipe I found here for a brine I got a 15 lb turkey and let it sit in the brine for about 30 hours. I used all apple wood and had the temp right at 250 degrees. 

I have to say the brine made a difference, my wife said while the turkey has always been very good this one was just juicier. I will be using a brine next time for sure.

Here is the Turkey about an hour in:

When the Turkey was close to being done I realized there was a lot of space just not getting used, so I ran out and got a nice roast and some chopped up beef for fajitas:

Turkey done:

Turkey breast sliced off:

Roast Done:

Roast Plated:

2. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Looks absolutely delicious!  Do yourself a favor next round and put it into some type of roasting pan w/ rack and save all the drippings for gravy!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks delish!  Good Job!

Kat

4. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Way to go , Link. Avery good Q-view and the Turkey,and roast looked great...but the Fajitas , what happened. That sounded good to me too[​IMG].

Keep on getting out there and doing that good stuff for the Family. Your Cyber Family here will be right there helping when needed.

I noticed you have no location on the Profile , please enter your location so we might give beter answers to your querries.

Meanwhile have fun and as always . . .

5. link

link Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Thanks Guys and Gal, Sorry I forgot to get a picture of the fajita meat and it disappeared quickly. I thought my location was in there sorry. I am in Michigan waiting for the weather to stabilize and let summer actually start.

6. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice smoke! I'll bet it was a great weekend.

7. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Great looking food!  Love the color on the turkey and roast,  Keep it up!!![​IMG]

8. pgsmoker64

pgsmoker64 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Awesome job on that turkey!  You just can't beat a brine on a big bird like that but don't neglect the little chickens!  They like a brine bath too.

Bill