First Bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tiburon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 19, 2019
My first bird, so far so good. Good smoke, temps holding 221, and I'am getting very hungry.
One question, When does the meat stop taking smoke? I guess I mean temp?
Thank you for any help you send my way and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly.
Instead of going by temp, I shoot for time.
Say about two hours of smoke if I am serving folks who have never tasted smoked meats before.
For me and the wife, I roll smoke the whole time.

Thank you both, I remember the time thing but then I thought I'd heard or read somewhere about the temp thing.
Well I went 2 and a half hrs on full smoke, apple, and now int temp is 136-144 on a insta read and what ever wood is left is giving a little light smoke so I guess it is good.
Bark is forming nicely, I just basted it. Doing Jeff's simple turkey video cook he post a few days ago, brine, butter and his Texas rub. Wife is going nuts every time I walk by as I of course smell of apple smoke.(I like it too! Don't tell her.)
And let's not forget Nevaeh, the dog, she's been my shadow every since I first dropped in the brine. Talk about a nose wiggle, if she were a witch I'd be looking for our bird.
Thanks for the info and enjoy your day!

You're welcome.

It isn't so much of a temp thing since the surface of the meat will attract smoke as long as smoke is present.
The wetter the meat surface is, the better the smoke molecules will attract and stick.

That's the thing about dogs and even cats too. They know when good Q is happening.
Sounds like your turkey is going to turn out delicious too.

Happy Thanks Giving to you and yours.

Thanks for the follow up, makes since.
My bird is the word........delious! And yes Dog and Cat approved, even the Boss loves it.
Let me know if it looks good as well. I'm happy with my first try at turkey. Now if I can get my brisket to come out as well I'll be bowling a 300 game...

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky