First Big Smoker Build. Advice welcomed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't consider her to be finished yet, but she is finished enough to cook on. I am cooking a chicken and a butt on it now. The butt will cook all night, but the chicken will come off in a few minutes! I can't wait to take her to competitions this summer! I don't even care if I win I just think it will be fun. Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback and the input. I will be sure to keep this thread up as I continue to finish this build. I still have a few more things I am going to do to it. Stay tuned!

The chicken turned out pretty good, but I am pretty critical of my own cooking so I didn't think it was as good as it could have been. 

The butt was over cooked. Normally I cook butts in a covered pan for ~10 hrs covered. After 10 hrs I uncover the pan for 30 mins to an hour and let it "smoke". That always turned out moist, tender, and smoky. But with the new smoker I tried a new technique. Uncovered and not in a pan for the entire time. Not smoky and not tender or moist. Still have to learn the smoker though. 

I am not satisfied with good meat. I want mind blowing food. Competition winning food. Advice on cooking great meat is welcomed...

I made the handles for all three doors. 
?? Is this a compliment? Or are you confused? lol  
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Cooked some steaks on it for supper today.... I have to say they were pretty delicious!! Sorry for not having pictures. Going to visit some family this weekend and planning to cook some butts, maybe a chicken or turkey and possibly some steaks on it.Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cooked some steaks on it for supper today.... I have to say they were pretty delicious!! Sorry for not having pictures. Going to visit some family this weekend and planning to cook some butts, maybe a chicken or turkey and possibly some steaks on it.Can't wait to see how it turns out.
th_nopicsye3.gif
............  We need Q-Views ............    I need to drool on my keyboard just a bit.....   

Dave

Sorry Dave, I didn't get any pictures of the steaks... you'll just have to take my word that they were delicious!!! 

I have a few more surprises to post on here. I'll give you a hint.... they are tail light lenses, and they look like pigs.. Will post pictures soon!

Last edited:
Before I go into detail about the tail light lenses... Let's go over what all I cooked this weekend.....

2 chickens

6 turkey legs
3 butts

3 steaks

6 hamburgers

3 pork loin steaks

1 turkey

1 rack beef short ribs

1 brisket

12 pork ka bobs

Que View.......

Charred Turkey legs

Smoked Turkey

Turkey close up

Front half of grill (pork ka bobs)

Back half of grill (chicken/pork slices/butt)

Pork ka bobs

close up

It was a very successful weekend and everyone there was RAVING about the food. We grazed on the meat all day. I kept the meat rolling off the smoker/grill constantly. I am now excited to use this big rig even more.  Anytime you eat wood grilled turkey legs for breakfast, you know it's the start of a good day!!!

Reactions: kc chiefs fan
Now the tail light lenses. The company I work for uses a plastic guy that makes all our fixtures out of plexi glass or other plastics. So one day while I was presenting the design of a new fixture we wanted him to make, I noticed some pink plastic in his foyer. I thought about it and decided I would ask him to make a big pig that I could put on the tongue of my trailer. Then  I had the idea of having 2 more made that were scaled down for tail light lenses. So now I have 2 tail light pigs and one 32" pig to go on the tongue.... They are laser cut and all identical. The only difference between the big pig and the small pigs is that the small pigs are scaled down. 

It ought to turn some heads at competitions!!!

Well worth the investment!

I just wanted to give an update on this smoker. 

This smoker is the most efficient smoker I've ever used. I can put 2-3 good logs in the fire box and the smoker will hold 200*F for 6-8 hours. Once I set the damper to the temp I want, the temp stays within 5 degrees +/- of what I have it set on. The doors don't leak smoke out because of the flat steel seal I put on the inside of the doors. 

The grill/firebox works great too. I can literally cook steaks or hamburgers as I am smoking meat on the other side. I am amazed at how efficient this smoker is using nothing less than a slide damper. 

Thank you for all the input. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky