First Big Smoker Build. Advice welcomed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What do ya'll think about a double-walled stove pipe? Would there be an advantage to this compared to a single-walled pipe? I am thinking that a double-walled pipe would stay cooler to the touch. 

I have considered an insulated pipe as well. They are pricey but it will cost me approximately the same amount to get a plain 6" steel pipe as it will to buy a stainless insulated pipe. Plain 6" dia X 48" long cost ~$50 to buy and another $50 to ship... a stainless insulated is ~$120 shipping included. For a few more dollars I can have stainless insulated.

What do ya'll think about a double-walled stove pipe? Would there be an advantage to this compared to a single-walled pipe? I am thinking that a double-walled pipe would stay cooler to the touch. 
i'm not seeing a reason to try and keep the stack cool. if for some reason you would like it cool. get some exhaust wrap. if the stack is that hot. think of what the temp will be at grate level.

I was just thinking about if someone accidently rubbed against it. If it were insulated it wouldn't burn... plus stainless exhaust pipe would look good.

Sorry to say I do not have much to update ya'll on this weekend. All I can say is that I got a really nice exhaust pipe. It is 6" ID 8" OD Stainless Steel Fully Insulated and 48" long. Should look nice after I polish it up.

I still do not have much to say as far as an update goes. Sorry! This thread has not died, I just have been side tracked the last couple weekends. I will be sure to update as soon as I do something!

110.gif
i'm still in. can't wait to see some smoke.

Aces.... Looks very good.....  I'm glad the design worked exactly as you planned it.....    Are we going to get pics of finished inside of the smoker from end to end ????  Folks could learn a few things if you did that.....    Me included  ....

Dave

Yes there will be many pictures to follow. I still haven't gotten it finished. I have to add thermometers, door latches, paint and other various odds and ins. But I plan to add more pictures tomorrow. 

One thing that I think will put this smoker over the top (in my opinion)  is when I put the decking on the back of the trailer. It will have a treated lumber floor with standard 5.5 inch decking to haul wood, with walls along with a top that is hinged to act as a roof for keeping the wood dry when traveling and can be opened to be used as  a counter. I haven't decided if I want the other half to be a sink of not... I guess I will make that decision in time.

Thank you by the way for the compliment.

Oh and by the way... For anyone that doubted this design I would like to inform you how this performed for the first time in an unfinished state.

As far as draft goes (for those of you that thought that the exhaust being low and the smoke inlet being high would cause draft issues): The draft was so strong with the damper slid all the way open that the flame closest to the damper could not stand up straight because the wind coming through was so strong. Looking at the damper from the side all you could see is smoke rolling up to the bottom of the damper and immediately getting blown into the FB. It made that noise that fire makes when being blown on by a strong wind.

As far as temperature goes, I put a meat thermometer that only reads to 220 degrees F and within 20 seconds sitting on a rack was pegged out. And this is with a small 2-3 log fire. I would guess the temperature to be close to 350 or 400. Again with a small fire. 

As far as smoke flow goes, the entire CC must fill with smoke before it can escape the exhaust. Which is exactly what happened. When the fire got going good and I shut all the doors it took a few minutes for the smoke to start coming out the exhaust pipe, when I opened a door to see what it looked like, all I could see was a tank full of smoke. 

Side notes: The fire could easily be  controlled with only the fire box damper. If I shut the damper all the way the fire choked down to embers, half way = half fire , all the way open = full blaze with strong draft. I do not have any exhaust damper yet, and may not need one if it keeps this up.

Also I enjoyed loading wood to the fire from the top instead of from the side like I am accustomed to doing with my double barrel smoker. 

I still do not know what to call this smoker. I haven't seen another one like this. The part that makes it unique is the fire box being in the same tank as the cook chamber. Also with the firebox serving as an open flame grill. Can anyone lead me in the right direction for the name of this smoker? Thank you.

I got quite a bit done on the smoker today. I was able to paint it early this morning and I also got a good start on the floor of the trailer. Finally I got my thermometers on there too. 

The box you see on the back of the trailer is still unfinished... I ran out of screws and the sun was getting low in the sky. The finished "box" will have a top that is in two parts and hinged so I can keep the wood dry when I am hauling it and fold it out when I am cooking to have more counter space. I am throwing around the idea of putting a type of thick plastic on the under side of the lid so I will have a good surface to prepare food on.  I am still undecided about putting a sink on the other half of the table top. I have a couple surprises I am going to wait until later to unveil... 

Trailer before floor.

Another view of pre floor trailer

Doors side pre floor. Note this is a boat trailer

Here is the floor

Long view

Close up

With the unfinished wood box

Another view of wood box

View from doors side

Close up of counter space under smoker doors and thermometers

Front view. Notice I masked the boat trailer look by running the floor up square to the front.

Last edited:
I know you know better.. but just a friendly reminder... your counter space under the doors... is that pressure treated wood.. If so please do not set raw meat on it... maybe line it with some of the plastic cutting boards or something of that sort...

I know you know better.. but just a friendly reminder... your counter space under the doors... is that pressure treated wood.. If so please do not set raw meat on it... maybe line it with some of the plastic cutting boards or something of that sort...
Yeah I wouldn't do that anyway just because of the dirtiness of it.... I am going to make the under side of the lid that will eventually be on the wood box plastic... I am thinking maybe .5" thick white plastic..

I know some of you were wanting a tour of the inside of the smoker... So here it is. The smoke comes up to the top of the tank and fills the tank from the top down. The exhaust is under the racks so it forces the smoke and heat to fill the entire tank before it escapes. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to chime in! 

This is the fire side of the tank.

Here is the top of the divider that is between the fire part and the smoking chamber. 

This is a view of the intake damper slot all the way open.

Here is a closer view of the divider gap.

This is the view looking from the left most side of the tank back to the fire side of the tank.

This is the inside of the exhaust box.

Here is a view of the exhaust box looking down through the grate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky