First Big Smoker Build. Advice welcomed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've been researching how to convert my 750 gal propane tank into a smoker, looking at how I want it to cook and how to make it all work right.  I was starting to design simliar to how you have done yours.  In addition to using the FB for direct grilling, I also wanted to set it up for dutch oven use too.  I would love any help you could provide.  Do you have a plate underneath the cooking rack for better radiant heat?  I'm thinking about doing that and use the plate to also catch grease or be used to add liquid for a moist smoke.  Thoughts?

I've been researching how to convert my 750 gal propane tank into a smoker, looking at how I want it to cook and how to make it all work right.  I was starting to design simliar to how you have done yours.  In addition to using the FB for direct grilling, I also wanted to set it up for dutch oven use too.  I would love any help you could provide.  Do you have a plate underneath the cooking rack for better radiant heat?  I'm thinking about doing that and use the plate to also catch grease or be used to add liquid for a moist smoke.  Thoughts?

Jagra, afternoon and welcome..... Your questions could get lost on this thread..... I think you will be better served starting a new thread in Reverse Flow smokers section...... Dave

I really like the sleek look of the one piece profile unit you are building.

No one has mentioned a double baffle between the firebox and the smoker chamber...

Would some efficiency of flow be gained by using a double baffle between the firebox and the smoker, with a space between the baffles to create a downward duct. The spacing would only have to be wide enough to allow the proper volume of ducting equal to the cutouts
The baffle near the firebox would have the cutout at the top - the baffle near the smoker would have the baffle near the bottom - flow exits the firebox at the top of the firebox, travels down in the baffle space. and enters the smoker box at the lower elevation, travels across and upwards to your stack opening

if anyone has seen this sort of thing - and knows it works or does not work 

thx

I would think that could work, but I don't see an advantage of doing that.

I think one reason this smoker is so efficient and holds such a constant temp is because the flow enters high and exits low. Heat naturally rises, so if it is forced to exit low, that means the entire cook chamber is filled with heat before any of it leaves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky