First Beef Ribs, no smoke ring?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ihocky2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I ran my first batch of beef ribs yesterday and overall I was happy with the results. Sorry, no pictures. I did a simple rub of a little cayene, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. I ran them 3-2-1 at 225 with apple wood, I used a little Carolina style BBQ sauce as a glaze, which gave a nice little zip to the flavor. Flavor turned out good, but a little light on the smoke but nice an beefy tasting. My biggest disappointment is that I had no smoke ring at all in the meat. I am thinking maybe running the 3-2-1 at 250 next time to see if that helps. Any suggestions on anything else that might help?

What type of smoker are you using?

You won't get a smoke ring with an electric and truthfully, there is not a lot of meat on ribs anyway, so sometimes you get the smoke ring, sometimes not.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky