First batch of jerky in a while.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I've only made jerky 3 times this year. And buying a bag of jerky to munch on while driving to the outer banks a couple weeks ago. And finding out this jerky was awful. Jack links original. Which surprised me. It's usually pretty good.
So, I made a small batch. A touch over 4 pounds. Which I sliced a bit thinner than usual. About 1/8".
3 cups soy sauce. I use low sodium.
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons sugar
1 dash black pepper
1 dash paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp pink cure.
Let the beef marinate/cure for 24 hours.
And dried in the oven 175 degrees with the door cracked open.

IMG_20221119_132449668 (1).jpg

First load done. Took 2.5 loads to get it all done. Since the meat was thin. Each load took 3 hours to do.
This is my go to recipe for jerky. You can also add a tsp of red pepper flakes to spice things up.

Last edited:
Looks good Steve. I'm not a huge jerky eater, but will have a piece here or there. Mostly on long road trips.

Point for sure
Chris

Good looking jerkey....... For a one way trip.....:emoji_wink:

Steve H Steve H how do you store it?

Rick
Once it is completely at room temp. I just store it in a zip lock bag in the fridge. I did add cure. So, it should be fine left out. But, I'm just cautious. If I make a larger batch. I'll store in lightly vacuumed sealed bags.
Looks good Steve. I'm not a huge jerky eater, but will have a piece here or there. Mostly on long road trips.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! On road trips I always have snacks in the center consul.

Good looking jerkey....... For a one way trip.....:emoji_wink:
Lol! It would barely make it down to NC alright!

I've only made jerky 3 times this year. And buying a bag of jerky to munch on while driving to the outer banks a couple weeks ago. And finding out this jerky was awful. Jack links original. Which surprised me. It's usually pretty good.
So, I made a small batch. A touch over 4 pounds. Which I sliced a bit thinner than usual. About 1/8".
3 cups soy sauce. I use low sodium.
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons sugar
1 dash black pepper
1 dash paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp pink cure.
Let the beef marinate/cure for 24 hours.
And dried in the oven 175 degrees with the door cracked open.

Yea, I hate to buy jerky because I almost always decide it's not very good.
Thanks for including your recipe.
What cut of beef did you use?
And have you ever tried smoking it for several hours at low temperature? I don't like to use Liquid Smoke.

Yea, I hate to buy jerky because I almost always decide it's not very good.
Thanks for including your recipe.
What cut of beef did you use?
And have you ever tried smoking it for several hours at low temperature? I don't like to use Liquid Smoke.
I used top round on this batch. I've done jerky in my smoker many times. At around 170-180. Great outcome. But yesterday with a windchill factor of 5 degrees. I opted for the oven! Which is why I used liquid smoke. The stuff from TSM is really good as long as you don't go overboard with it.

Some excellent looking jerky Steve. Way to go on being patient enough to sit through it and get it all done. You'll be nibbling good for a while, that's for sure!!

Robert

Looks great Steve . I use the oven whenever I make jerky . In my opinion liquid smoke is a good add in the right amount . Even when you use the smoker .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky