First Bacon, will not be the last!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a fresh bellie.  Local butcher for $2.90 a pd.  Brought it home and removed the skin after PM'n Bearcarver, Thanks.  Cut it into three pieces, so it'd fit in the baggies.  Weighted the pieces and measured out the TQ.  mixed in a 1/2 T of brown sugar per pd.  Sealed in baggies and in the fridge for 8 days.  Soaked them for 1 hr.  Did the fry test and all was good.  Fired up the AMZ in the GOSM w/apple.  Cold smoked for 12 hrs. It was 40 f outside, the interior of the GOSM never got higher then 60f.   Wrapped and in the fridge.  Placed them in the freezer for an hour and onto the slicer. 

If you are waiting to make your own bacon.  DO IT.  Enjoy and smoke on!

cb7464c2_fresh.jpg
d904cb57_curing.jpg
e611beab_frytest.jpg

27308c0d_drying.jpg
6e90fe22_insmokey.jpg
08c84b50_sliced.jpg
ecc8e036_packed.jpg

Last edited:
That is some great looking bacon - glad to see anther convert

Looks great! Nice pictures too, thanks.

I am on my 3rd round of making bacon. Got a 14.6 lb bellie.

Bear was a big help to me too.

Have a great day!

Great looking bacon. You will never buy bacon again. Except that cheap stuff to wrap over your smoked goodies. Don't want to waste your good stuff on that.
EEEEKKK!   That's one of the things I wanted home made bacon for.

Thought fatties with home made sausage and bacon would be awesome.

And ABTs too.

You go right ahead and use it in what ever you want it will taste awesome.  I like to use the cheapest bacon I can find when I wrap fatties etc. I don't want to waste my good bacon as it goes way to fast the way it is. haha. 

icon_cool.gif

Well your bacon looks awesome and I really like home made bacon too. You just can't get baon like that anywhere but then who's looking. I like to make my own myself.

Thanks for all the words.

It was easy and the taste is great.  I took a pd to work, we ate bacon for lunch.  I ordered another belley today.  Should be here next week.  I'll do the same except I'll go with maple instead of apple.  Just to check it out.  Might do one with a boat load of CBP rubbed on.  Does the pepper go on after the rinse?

Thanks

I use Bowmans in Aberdeen.  I called to late to get it this week.  I think Gavenells in Cecil would have them also.  I'm not crossing the dam anytime soon.  How about you, where are you scoring your bellies?

icon_lol.gif
 That was one big fry test, hope ya had some eggs and taters with that! Looks like some awesome bacon, Bearcarver has a great recipe and ya won't be visiting farmer john again in the near future. This reminds me I just opened my last bag a couple day's ago, I need to visit the butcher here soon.

I use Bowmans in Aberdeen.  I called to late to get it this week.  I think Gavenells in Cecil would have them also.  I'm not crossing the dam anytime soon.  How about you, where are you scoring your bellies?

I live on Kent Island and there are no butchers to be found.  Guess I will have to go north

Man those are some nice slabs. I am getting ready to butcher my next round of hogs and have been dreaming about fresh bacon. This thread has just helped the drool a little. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky