first bacon screw up need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herman4

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Mass
ok so my tender quick never showed up and. I had a 11 pound belly in fridge and a pissed wife!

So I drove 1.5 hours each way to the nearest bass pro shop to get lem cure.
I could not find any info in a cure mix with lens so I followed the instruction for the amount of cure and added salt and brown sugar. I thought I would do it the same as I do my salmon, just completely cover with the mix. The next day i found a web site that described the correct mix with lems. Oh my did I use WAy to much salt. Now my bellow is 3 days in,
What do I do? My fate will be worse than death if I have to waste the belly.
Can I let it cure for the 7 days then soak ?
Please help!!!

The only thing you have to worry about is the amount of cure you used.  If the bacon is safe you can normally soak out most of the salt or just cut into very thin slices and don't salt the eggs when you make breakfast!  Did you do a dry cure or a brine?  If you did a dry cure you could just weigh what you have left of the unapplied cure, figure how much cure 1 was applied and then start again knowing how much cure 1 still has to be applied with less salt.

If you did a wet cure all bets might be off.  Like Todd said,  what did you use so we can help you.

Al

I used a dry cure and a 1.4 teaspone per pound of pink salt

I used all of the mix
4 cups of salt and 2 cups of brown sugar
Thanks for help

OUCH on the salt!

If it was mine, I would rinse it all off and start over.

Here's my recipe

As you can see, there's very little salt

12# Pork Shoulder or Pork Bellies(Skin Removed)

4 oz. Country Brown Cure(.32 oz. Cure/lb. Meat Adjust for Amount of Meat)

1 Cup Brown Sugar

2 tsp. Allspice(Optional Ginger)

2 TBSP Cracked Black Pepper(CBP)

2 tsp. Garlic Powder

2 tsp. Onion Powder

2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

1 TBSP Kosher or Sea Salt(Optional 2-3 TBSP Salt)

Todd

Yes, would really like to know how you turned it around or if

you scrapped it and started over. That was a lot of salt.

Good Luck and let us know...James

Thanks ,
I thought I would pull one piece out (I cut the 11 lbs into smaller pieces to fit the bags) soak in water and try it ou.
I figured with all the salt it cured faster?
Thoughts

Nope

Salt is not the curing agent.  The Sodium Nitrite is the curing agent.  Salt is just a way to deliver the Sodium Nitrite and a flavor enhancer.

Thanks, I know the salt is not the same, but I thought I might be able to save the belly by pulling early I know it is not properly cured with the cure 1.
I was going to considered it like is was only salt cured.
.?

that is fine,  keep it refrigerated and if you smoke it smoke like you would anyother piece of meat.   It is still perfectly safe if you didn't overdo the cure 1  Nothing wrong with salt pork.  If it is salty use as a flavor in beans.

Give it another try. 

Thanks to all
First a face saver
By reading all Of you posts over the past year i have had great success with
Brisket, tri tlp, but, cOld and hot smoked salmon....
For some reason i was scared of bacon, all thAt talk of the big B.

So what did i end up with? A life time supply of salt pork,
Any one going on a long sea voyage ?
Now that i have better info i will be back at it soon!
As soon as i can get some belly without the wife stop me first!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky