First Bacon - how long to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zott

Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
I am new to smoking and just trying my first bacon. I am using a dry cure from the book by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. But I am not quite sure at what temperature and how long to smoke and for. I have a MES 30 smoker with a letterbox type conversion so I can cold smoke If I want to. Now after checking on the forum there seems to be so many options I'm not sure which way to go. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I am using pork belly about 2 1/2 kg. ambient Temps are quite warm here at the moment.

Thanks

Greg
Perth West Australia

Since you are having warm weather, smoke it at ambient if you can or at about 38°C but no higher than 54°C. I happen to like 10 hours of smoke but you can go longer or less...JJ

zott, It would be hard for someone to tell how long to smoke a product not knowing the smoke color or density of the smoke.  Due to the many different reasons such as humidity and temperature, the same type of wood will burn differently. I suggest starting with a specified type of wood such as apple and smoke to a desired color rather than time.  After learning what color works best for you with apple, change to a different type of wood such as hickory and repeat the process.  To help speed this along, you can cut the belly into several sections rather than leaving it whole or in halves and remove at different colors.  Keep good notes on what you do.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. Greg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky