First attempt with dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

James202

Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
This was my first try using dust I used an apple, cherry and maple blend on a brick of Colby Jack. After letting it rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours so far I am very pleased. I smoked it for 2 hours flipping the Brick every 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 20181221_155111.jpg
    20181221_155111.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 19
Happy it worked out for you! I only rotate halfway. Next run will be 6-8hrs. Dust was game changer for me. Pellets were way too strong for me.

I love the pellets for smoking hot but the dust for cold on the cheese unbelievable. I will most likely try longer but for my first try I wanted a low start point.

Nice looking cheese, dust and cheese go hand in hand.

Chris

I stand the blocks up on edge.That will darken as it ages looks good
Richie

Wise to start with a short duration. Looks like a big brick? I think most guys break em down into smaller portions and smoke them that way. I suspect it may help with smoke penetration but have not tested this personally.

It actually was what I consider a small brick it was 8 oz. Tropics do you mean when you are smoking the cheese or while storing it just curious.

Haven’t gotten my hands on any dust yet but want to try it. Does it light the same as the pellets? I mainly use apple pellets for cold smoking with great results but everyone raves about the dust. Wish amazon would come on with the dust!

It does lite the same, just use one of those long nozzle bic lighters.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky