• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First attempt at smoked whole chickens

mikendebb

Joined Oct 29, 2010
Hello all,

Taken directly from the Labor Day 2010 newsletter archives, smoked my first whole chicken and it came out amazing and very moist.

Brine per instructions, used McCormicks Grill Mates Applewood Rub and smoked with cherry wood.

Rubbed and ready to smoke. Used the Weber as a table.

In the smoker they go

A couple hours later

I have never made chicken this good before.

This site and forum rocks!!!

Thanks to everyone!!!

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
Congrats on your birds, Looks like a seasoned pro did them! Just imagine what you can do next! With all the great info here, the possibilities are endless.

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
congrats! those are great looking birds! Brining is one of the best cooking tricks ever.

tom37

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 24, 2009
Fine looking birds there.

Nice job.

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 17, 2010
Thats a great feelin when you knock one out of the park for the first time. Good job Mike!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice job Mike!

Now you're cruising!

Bear

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
Those smoked chickes rock don't they. Great Job! I am pumped to smoke a bunch of whole turkey's myself this weekend.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 6, 2010
Tasty looking birds you have there.  One of my favorite things to smoke is whole chicken.  Great job!

mikendebb

Joined Oct 29, 2010
Thanks, they were!!!

I was a dork and did take any pics but I smoked my first turkey the weekend before.......was really good too.

Smoked my favorite meatloaf recipe, my moms, the day before that, everyone loved it too.

Totally digging the smoke!!!

Mike

Last edited:

kevink

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 26, 2010
Looks so delicious!  Now that you have the first one under your belt, you can start putting your own mark on the classic smoked chicken!  I saw you had an onion on the grate below the chicken.  Good idea!  Have you thought about stuffing the cavity with vegetables, etc?  Sometimes I put a little drip pan down to catch the liquids coming off the bird for a nice gravy starter.  The possibilities are endless!

Keep the qview comin!!!

-Kevin

skdvr

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 22, 2010
Can you share a link to the recipe?  I am new to the forum and still having a tough time navigating around....

The birds look Awesome!

Thanks

Phil

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.