First attempt at fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BarbarianFoodie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2020
N.E. SD
Well, after seeing all the mouth watering pictures of fatties on this site I thought I would give it a go
KIMG1622.JPG
First I wove up some apple wood bacon then put it in the fridge to stiffen back up

KIMG1623.JPG
Then I rolled out a mixture of 60% ground beef and 30% seasoned pork sausage

KIMG1625.JPG
Topped it off with the different kinds of cheese ( should have used shredded and stayed away from the edges)

KIMG1626.JPG
Rolled it up (here was where I found out it's kinda hard to roll up stiff slices of cheese, and to get it to"seal" I had to take some of the ground mixture and go over the ends and seam)

KIMG1627.JPG Wrapped it up in the bacon weave and pot it in the fridge for the night

KIMG1629.JPG

Put in on the grill over a two zone fire

KIMG1630.JPG
About on hour or so later had a bit of a blow out

KIMG1639.JPG

When internal temp hit 162 I crisped up the bacon over the coals IT got up to 165

KIMG1640.JPG
Tried to let it rest a bit so the cheese would run all over but I couldn't wait to try it

KIMG1642.JPG
Turned out pretty dang good I thought
All in all it took around 3 1/2 hours at 225-250° to get 165° IT for a 3 lb fatty

I had since leftover meat mixture so I made a little fatty as well
KIMG1628.JPG
Seasoned it up with my sweet rib rub

KIMG1631.JPG
About 2 1/2 hours at 225-250° KIMG1636.JPG
This one was really tasty as well

Thanks for looking guys
Marc

Looks great to me! Just made my first fatty not too long ago...don't know why I waited so long!

Ryan

That’s a good looking fattie my friend!
I get blowouts too, cause I just wanna put too much stuff inside.
It takes discipline to back off & just put just the right amount of filling in it.
Or my solution is to make a massive fattie with more ground sausage on the outside to hold all the filling in.
Al

Thanks guys! I definitely understand the hype now that I've had them, couldn't hardly get to sleep last night with all the different ideas for stuffing ingredients lol
I'd say you nailed it. Blow outs happen. Nice job
Looks great to me! Just made my first fatty not too long ago...don't know why I waited so long!

Ryan
Great job
That’s a good looking fattie my friend!
I get blowouts too, cause I just wanna put too much stuff inside.
It takes discipline to back off & just put just the right amount of filling in it.
Or my solution is to make a massive fattie with more ground sausage on the outside to hold all the filling in.
Al

Looks awesome it may have been your first but bet it won't be your last lol

im in ND and making one aug 15th if ya some{my wife gets tested weekly from work}. i am using my copper mat and i use parchment to roll out the pork and i use 90% ground beef rolled same way lay beef on top add the stuff which is never the same stuff n wrap with always the same stuff =bacon. and on my copper mat..{i been refering to mat as i use it ,but dont seem to see it here} like this.. .. and i still use my pellet holder for smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky