First anniversary smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jasper7

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Hi, my name is Ron . I got my smoker a year ago, and this site helped me wade through a lot of the choices out there.  To start I figured a gas smoker would be the best way to learn. Last summer, I spent every weekend I could in the backyard, tossing chunks of alder in my grill-pro vertical gas smoker.  Nice work if you can get it.  I decided to join the forum now because, as I write this my new napoleon charcoal smoker, is on its way; and I expect I have a lot of learning to do.  Just to explain I was looking at a WSM, of course but I got a great deal on the napoleon ($219), with free shipping.  Since home depot is a four hour return drive plus a ferry ride away, free shipping tipped the balance.  I live on a island off the north end of Vancourver island , which is off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada.  You could say I'm about half way between Vancouver,BC and Alaska, if that's any help to you.  I've joined now so I can ask questions, as I learn to charcoal smoke.  And  I want to try more difficult smokes like brisket.  I'll add that I'm not to the level of technical know how to upload photos, so for now, I won't be posting any pictures of food, I'll be too busy eating it.  You may wonder how a 49 year old Canadian came to the wonderful world of barbecue cooking?  When I was in my early teens, on a family trip to Myrtle Beach,SC., somewhere in rural North Carolina, I ate barbecue, and I loved it.  There's not many barbecue joints around these parts, so I have to make it myself.  I'm still learning, so I will probably post more questions, than answers.  But I'm happy to share what I've learned so far, if it helps.

Welcome to the forum and grats on the new toy! I have not used the Napolian's but I have seen them - hopefull it will be as easy to use for you as my WSM is for me.

Love south Vancouver Island - went up there back in the day on a highschool trip, and went back for you honeymoon, both really nice visits.

Welcome aboard, Ron! Glad you joined us. You've found a great place to learn and share ideas. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who enjoy helping one another.  Good luck with that new rig, I'm not familiar with a napoleon, but it sounds like you got a good deal.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Would you mind updating your profile to show where you live?  You just might meet some neighbors!

Also....sign up for Jeff's E-course.  It's great and you will learn so much from it!  http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

The Course is great for anyone no matter what your experience level may be!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Thanks for the welcome, I'm a big fan of the rose city myself.  I've only been twice, but I went to a brewfest there about 25 years ago, big fan of bridgeport ipa among others.  In sept. 2011 spent about 10 days camping at cape lookout.  Got to eat some great smoked cheeses.  See ya around the site.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky