First and second time smoking cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coryww

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 15, 2015
So as with everyone else, with the cooler temperatures I decided to try my first attempt at smoking cheese!

My setup is a vertical propane smoker (same as the master built 30") I mounted my AMNPS below the lower air intake under the burner.

Since I wasn't sure how it would turn out I started with 2 hours and apple pellets. My first adventure was cheddar.

Tried a slice on day 3 of rest and it was still very "campfire like". So I waited till day 7, smell and flavor definatley mellowed down a lot... can wait till next Sunday for day 14...

Since I'm impatient I ran out on this past sunday (7 days from original smoke). And picked up 4 lbs of Gouda... mmmm Gouda!

In it went and I followed the same process, 2 hours with apple pellets. Now I'm excited for the next 2 sundays as I get to try some rested cheese!

I do however have a few questions, should I add a fan on the outlet to draw some additional airflow over and above just the smoke rising through the smoker? Does this help with flavor?

Does a mailbox mod actually help as much as I have read about? Does a longer run of pipe between the smoker and the chamber holding the cheese really calm down the creosote that much? Would I need to smoke something longer if I used a setup like the mailbox mod with a long run of pipe?

Thanks in advance!

CW, your amnps should be sufficient to get the smoke you need . Leave the lower damper  wide open and the upper one cracked a bit  to get a good draft for the amnps to do its job. I like four hours of apple on my cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky