First 3 Cooks On The New Santa Maria Grill (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I wasted no time at all getting this thing fired up and trying new approaches to cooking. The first was thick sliced center cut pork loin chops cooked over oak lump charcoal

Firing up the grill
03.jpg

Chops on
04.jpg

After the flip
05.jpg

Chops all done
06.jpg

Dinner plated. Made some pork stuffing and an Italian veggie salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing
07.jpg

Money shot. The chop are perfect. Couldn't be happier this being my first time ever using the grill
08.jpg

Wasn't much left :-)
10.jpg

The next day was beef fajitas. I buy the skirt steak and cut it into meal sized portions, spice it with my own fajita seasoning, vac seal them and into the fridge for a few days for the flavor to get into the meat, then into the freezer. These were done over Mesquite wood.

Fajita meat onto the grill
11.jpg

After the flip
13.jpg

Off the grill
15.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve. Once again, they came out perfect. I'm really liking this grill!!
16.jpg

First of several fajitas
17.jpg

Sunterra (where I got the grill) has developed an affiliation with a company that specializes in producing Piedmontese beef. This is a different breed of cattle than we are used to seeing here in the U.S. It originated in the northwest of Italy in the Piedmont region. There are some genetic differences that make this vastly superior to what we get here. I won't go into all of the chemistry but the meat is leaner, extremely tender, and has a flavor that is simply out of this world. I've never had beef that is as good as this stuff. They were offering a couple of specials so I took advantage and ordered a truck load of the stuff. The third dinner is Piedmontese NY strips done over Mesquite

In the infamous words of Roger Mooking: "Time to light a fire!!"
19.jpg

Did some corn on the cob brushed with EVOO and sprinkled with a little salt, pepper, and garlic. Roll them up in aluminum foil
20.jpg

Corn onto the grill. Special note here: The grill is designed and built with the cooking grate tilted down in the front. This is so the the grease will run into the drip tray that hangs inside of the front of the grate. I had to lay the corn at an angle so it wouldn't roll off
24.jpg

Steaks getting ready to go. Just a simple sprinkle of salt and pepper...that's it
22.jpg

Made a nice salad once again with the homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. That stuff is REALLY good so used it again
23.jpg

Steaks on the grill
25.jpg

Steaks all done
26.jpg

Dinner plated
27.jpg

Money shot!!
28.jpg

So far I'm batting a thousand. Three perfect cooks in a row on a brand new grill. Even the wife is in awe. She's used to the learning curve that one typically has to go through with a new cooker. This beef was so good I placed a second order the day after we had this meal. I'm planning to keep a stash on hand. Since I started dry aging beef several months ago the thought of just going into s store, buying steaks, and tossing them on the grill had no appeal at all. This stuff has changed my mind!!

Well, that's all for now but I have also done a rotisserie eye round roast that I'll post later. It also came out incredibly well but I've eaten up enough bandwidth posting this :-)

Off to my little pub in Lago,
Robert

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 9
That all looks great! Points for sure. Been looking into them myself but I still haven't convinced the wife I need a propane griddle so baby steps lol. If you don't mind me asking how do you make your homemade balsamic dressing?

Appears to me that your a very quick learner. Nice looking cooks.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokinVOLfan... my name is Gary Parrott. I am the operations manager for Sunterra Outdoor, and live Knoxville. Really enjoying the cooks by tx smoker on our grills. For sure he is doing a great job. If you are ever curious and want to see a Santa Maria let me know.

Sounds great! Do you guys have a shop around here? If I didn't have to pay crazy freight shipping that might help the cause! Really enjoying the cooks I'm seeing from the santa maria's as well

"That all looks great! Points for sure. Been looking into them myself but I still haven't convinced the wife I need a propane griddle so baby steps lol. If you don't mind me asking how do you make your homemade balsamic dressing?"

Thank you for the kind words re: the entire thread.

Dressing is actually very easy to make but I don't have a "recipe" per se, just a list of ingredients. I pretty much shoot from the hip. Here is what I use:
-Organic EVOO
-Balsamic vinegar
-Oregano
-Basil
-Garlic
-Small pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt

That's it. Sorry it wasn't much help though :-) The first time i noted using itin this post was actually the first time I'd ever done it and didn't measure stuff or write it down.

OOPS!!
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
"SmokinVOLfan... my name is Gary Parrott."

Gary!! Glad you decided to drop and join us. This is really a great family of folks here. Without doubt, the best forum on the 'Net.

Robert

"That all looks great! Points for sure. Been looking into them myself but I still haven't convinced the wife I need a propane griddle so baby steps lol."

If you need a great way to convince her that you need one, bring her along and drop by the house one day after work. You're more than welcome to do a trial run on mine to show her how great this unit is and how it would enhance her life :-)

Rolling out the welcome mat,
Robert

"That all looks great! Points for sure. Been looking into them myself but I still haven't convinced the wife I need a propane griddle so baby steps lol. If you don't mind me asking how do you make your homemade balsamic dressing?"

Thank you for the kind words re: the entire thread.

Dressing is actually very easy to make but I don't have a "recipe" per se, just a list of ingredients. I pretty much shoot from the hip. Here is what I use:
-Organic EVOO
-Balsamic vinegar
-Oregano
-Basil
-Garlic
-Small pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt

That's it. Sorry it wasn't much help though :-) The first time i noted using itin this post was actually the first time I'd ever done it and didn't measure stuff or write it down.

OOPS!!
Robert

Sounds great thank you! I make something very similar as a dressing for tomato/cucumber/feta salad. Never though to put it on an actual salad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky