Fires , Too close for comfort

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad your getting all the rain if they are getting it at those fires you know it's got to be helping big time. I hope you get all the rain you can handle with out getting too much.

Thanks Jerry

Yes we did get a lot of rain and it helped a lot to the workers on the ground. Even with the big fire that is blowing the smoke down the coast your guys way.

We were very happy to see the rain, and not complaining at all about it . It also brought our lake up about 7". Now more lake to fish in ,lol

David

Reactions: DonP and Steve H
That's great to hear, David. Now you can get your life back, and start enjoying rather than worrying.
Gary

Thanks Gary,

I think that was the biggest worry for us . Not really knowing just how close it really was and when we had to run.

So now we are pretty well back to our regular routine, but still keeping an eye and ear on the news ..... just in case.

David

Reactions: GaryHibbert
352335379_137350875981022_7911501229783715654_n.jpg

we are only 3 towns away from E. Northport, there is no way they don't see or smell it as well.

That is cool, I have not been there ( he lives in his parents home ) since I was 12. Way too long ago
I was amazed at there home , very nice big house with lemon and pear trees in the back yard. As a
12 year old kid , it was way to cool to see lemon trees in someones back yard.

David

We just received a haze/air quality warning in the northern Virginia area. They're blaming the fires in Quebec.

Been following your posts, David and glad to hear y'all can breathe easy now (pun intended).

Reactions: DRKsmoking
We just received a haze/air quality warning in the northern Virginia area. They're blaming the fires in Quebec.

Been following your posts, David and glad to hear y'all can breathe easy now (pun intended).
Yep, been following along and got up this morning to air quality alerts on the weather here in the Norfolk area. Had to look at the cause and it's from those fires. Reminds me of when the Dismal swamp and Alligator River NWR were burning.

You are right I was watching news last night and now I think most of the smoke going south is from Quebec

And yes , we are doing much better now, thank you

David

Yep, been following along and got up this morning to air quality alerts on the weather here in the Norfolk area. Had to look at the cause and it's from those fires. Reminds me of when the Dismal swamp and Alligator River NWR were burning.

Yes it is , and sorry about that,
At least it is not from my cooking this time , lol

David

Here is a shot from my friend walking into work today, NYC the Empire State Building.
IMG_5276.jpeg

From his office on the 29th floor of the Empire State Building, you can't even see the Freedom Tower
IMG_5277.jpeg

This is out my back window way out in Suffolk County NY.
IMG_4847.jpg

Here is a feel good story about what a resident and others did for a US firefighter that was here in Nova Scotia helping with the fires here.

And here is the story

Nova Scotians arrange lobster dinner for American firefighter celebrating 60th birthday​

Social Sharing​

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Reddit
  • LinkedIn

Nick Brand wanted to do something to thank the firefighters for 'helping to save our community'​

CBC News · Posted: Jun 08, 2023 2:15 PM ADT | Last Updated: June 8
About 20 people are seen sitting around a long table, some wearing lobster bibs, as they prepare to eat a lobster dinner together. They look at the camera and smile.

An American crew of firefighters enjoys a lobster dinner put together by members of the Shelburne County community. (Nick Brand/Facebook)
comments
Community members in Shelburne County took hospitality to the next level earlier this week, when they quickly arranged a 60th birthday dinner for an American firefighter who has been battling a massive wildfire in the area.
Kevin Pezanowski, who is from New Hampshire, had travelled to Nova Scotia last week with a crew of about 17 firefighters from the northeastern United States to help fight the blaze.
Nick Brand, who had been volunteering by serving breakfast to firefighters at the local arena, said he was at the right place at the right time when he heard about the firefighter's milestone birthday on Monday.
"A firefighter named Lily, she came up to me and just mentioned how it was Kevin's 60th birthday," Brand told CBC Radio's Information Morning Nova Scotia.
"And she had heard that we're pretty famous for lobsters and asked if there was anything we could do that evening for his birthday."

Brand asked Lily how many people would be there, and then said, "leave it to me."
From there, Brand texted a friend who immediately donated 25-30 lobsters and his burner and pot to cook it in. He also put out a message to the community.
Before he knew it, another local who works at the Sandy Point Lighthouse donated supplies to serve the lobster, while others offered to cook.
He said someone also donated their "famous" biscuits, along with some salads. Moe's Shake Shack, a local ice cream spot, even donated an ice cream cake, he said.
"It's pretty easy here in town right now to find people to help out," he said.
Brand said the owners of an old restaurant offered their space to serve the dinner, so the firefighters wouldn't have to eat lobster in the arena.

Now if that is not a big THANK YOU . to everyone that helped out

David

Thank you Buck, it is nice for us now.

As for the when we can BBQ. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: ,

Look up 2nd post above yours . I mentioned that we can us our BBQ's now. Just propane and or charcoal

And I posted my first Q job , Burgers and Jalapeno Sausage's , on the spinner now :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

David
Sorry, I was perusing through your thread trying to catch up and missed it! At the time I had no idea that there were even fires there! I dont watch tv unless its college football season, so I had no idea! Nice cook sir and glad you guys are safe! BTW, we had haze here in central Ohio for several days last week. I suppose it was from the NE wind that we had for several days blowing in the remnants of your fires!

from the NE wind that we had for several days blowing in the remnants of your fires!

All good , totally understand. That smoke was probably from the big fires that Quebec was having as it was mostly blowing inland and down towards youer area, ours went down the east coast than out to sea also.

Way too many fires this early in the year, wait until end of July and Aug. when things are even dryer.

David

Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky