Firehouse Smoked Chicken and Cajun Smoked Sausage Gumbo (Boneless)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
First good cold front passed through last friday night, Low of 48 Saturday night so perfect gumbo weather! Pulled out a 10# bag of leg quarters and 3# Cajun smoke sausage from the freezer to thaw then around lunch time I rolled some hickory smoke to them @ 200*F for about 2-3 hours.
IMG_20211016_154733364.jpg

IMG_20211016_151543252.jpg

Brought the chicken to the firehouse. We picked the meat and added the bones and skin to a pot along with some chicken stock to pull the smokey goodness out of the bones.
IMG_20211016_155003479.jpg

IMG_20211016_155744194.jpg

IMG_20211016_155003479.jpg

Let that go for about 1.5 hours while we got some color on the veggies and fried the sausage.
IMG_20211016_155737072.jpg

IMG_20211016_162736373.jpg

Next we added 3 cups of home made dark brown Cajun roux to the strained smokey chicken stock. Brought that to a boil to incorporate the roux good, then added the meat and veggies to the stock.
IMG_20211016_171744805.jpg

Let that simmer for about an hour while we made potato salad and cooked some rice. Finished the gumbo with some file' powder and it's time to eat!

*I like a lot of file' in my bowl!!!
IMG_20211016_180542009.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious
Thanks peachy. We ate half that pot for supper.

Good lookin' Gumbo inda!
It sounds like it was stacked with flavor.
Thanks moto. Traditionally, chicken gumbo does not use smoked chicken. But I'm a smoke hound so I like to smoke the chicken first...plus, the gumbo comes together faster in the kitchen and it's boneless...which is nice for packaging for meals at the deer camp.

Looks awesome!! What the heck is file powder.
1MoreFord answered.... I get mine local from an old man that grinds his own.

Thanks for posting..

OoooWeee, that looks good, I Gar-ron-tee!
Hey Bro, Congrats on your Pineapple Sausage goin' to the Big Show with 2 Guys and a Cooler!...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
OoooWeee, that looks good, I Gar-ron-tee!
Hey Bro, Congrats on your Pineapple Sausage goin' to the Big Show with 2 Guys and a Cooler!...JJ
Thanks Chef jj! And I don't take full credit for that pineapple sausage. It was a collaboration and you were a huge part of the success! Thanks again for helping out with it.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thank you my friend. That was an interesting project.😉...JJ

Swamp, that is one fine looking bowl of "goodness gracious". The temps here are mid 40's this morning, too, with more of the same forecasted for this week. Wife is already asking when am I going to make chili, gumbo, vegetable soup, etc...:emoji_wink:
Filé powder is nearly impossible to find here in South Carolina (probably hiding with the tri-tip that I can't seem to find :emoji_grinning:) butI ordered some...

Reactions: indaswamp
Great looking gumbo. I'd not turn down a bowl or 3 of that. yep it is finally getting to good weather for this fat boy (thank God!).
Jim

That looks fantastic Inda. That chicken though, wow nicely smoked. I bought some file powder the other day because my andouille recipe calls for it. Never ever even tasted it before. I’m not sure it’s a game changer but again I’ve not cooked with it. The taste I had of it was very mild.

Wow Keith, that looks absolutely delicious!! I do love, love, LOVE a good bowl of gumbo so I'd be all over a pot of that buddy.

Robert

That looks fantastic Inda. That chicken though, wow nicely smoked. I bought some file powder the other day because my andouille recipe calls for it. Never ever even tasted it before. I’m not sure it’s a game changer but again I’ve not cooked with it. The taste I had of it was very mild.
Thanks SE!
Gumbo file' is ground dried sassafras leaves, so it does have a mild root beer like flavor. It is very distinct. You have stumbled onto one of the secret ingredients in Cajun smoke sausage making- file' powder. It brings a floral note to the smoke. Does not take a lot....

Now I'm wanting some gumbo. Looks niced!
Thanks Steve!

Nice stick to your ribs and full of flavor

David
Thanks DRK!

Now that is some good eating!
Everyone went back for seconds! Thank you GATOR!

Swamp, that is one fine looking bowl of "goodness gracious". The temps here are mid 40's this morning, too, with more of the same forecasted for this week. Wife is already asking when am I going to make chili, gumbo, vegetable soup, etc...:emoji_wink:
Filé powder is nearly impossible to find here in South Carolina (probably hiding with the tri-tip that I can't seem to find :emoji_grinning:) butI ordered some...
Yep-it's gumbo/soup season now. And I love gumbos and soups! Funny you can't find gumbo file' in N. Carolina. I would have thought gumbo file' would have gone world wide by now.. Interesting.
Thanks GonnaSmoke.

Great looking gumbo. I'd not turn down a bowl or 3 of that. yep it is finally getting to good weather for this fat boy (thank God!).
Jim
Thank you JL!

Wow Keith, that looks absolutely delicious!! I do love, love, LOVE a good bowl of gumbo so I'd be all over a pot of that buddy.

Robert
Thanks Robert!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky