Firebox or not? Need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
Hello forum. This is my first post.

I was gifted a 3ft diameter x 6ft long- cylindrical, double jacketed grill. I say grill because there is no firebox. They used one end for fire and the other for exhaust. I plan on leaving it as a wood burner. I do plan on adding a controller at some point if need be. I like the idea of being able to use it as a grill from time to time but its primary use is smoking large quantities of meat.

Can you help me figure out a few things?

1. Should I add a firebox or leave the cooking chamber as is?
2. Depending on the answer to 1, how big should the firebox be?
3. Depending on the answer to 1 and 2, how large of a smokestack will I need?

Thanks in advance and please forgive me if I havent provided enough detail.

I think you will want to add a fire box so that you can keep the internal temps of the "smoker" more reasonable. As far as how big should it be and how large a smoke stack, they're are several smoker calculators out there which should help. I'll let some of the more experienced builders chime in, but those are my thoughts.

I think you will want to add a fire box so that you can keep the internal temps of the "smoker" more reasonable. As far as how big should it be and how large a smoke stack, they're are several smoker calculators out there which should help. I'll let some of the more experienced builders chime in, but those are my thoughts.
16x 16 box should be adequate..try a 3inch stack at least 2'. I prefer taller stacks on my Pits...my prefrence....want a top lid or swing out

I will definitely look into the calculators. I think ive pretty much made up my mind that i will add a firebox.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
How thick is the steel on the grill? How are you set/up for welding equipment and welding skills?
If the metal is too thin it will be a real bugger trying to attach any kind of firebox on the end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky