Firebox Intake?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dieseltech86

Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I have been reading threads for awhile now and was given an opportunity to DIY my very own legit smoker. I'm in the home stretch and trying to decide on my fire box intake.

It seems that I have had very good test runs with just cracking the door but I have children and think it'll be a bit safer to have the door latched at all times.

My thoughts are to place a 5-6" hole at the base of the door and make a plate on threaded rod that will screw in/out to control the airflow.

My tank is a 120gal @ 24"dia and the firebox was cut 24" long (including the dome). I essentially used the Primitive Pits idea for the "Babe" smoker. The firebox opening is 100sq. in. and my stack is 40" of 4.5" EMT.

Any ideas??

Attachments

• 20201227_173156.jpg
    20201227_173156.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20210101_175333.jpg
    20210101_175333.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: kruizer
Leaving the firebox door open anywhere from a crack to a few inches is the best method of heat management on my SQ36, Once I'm setup and rolling smoke I hardly ever touch the vents anymore. Whether the box is open a inch or two or fully closed, kids aren't going to want to touch or bump into it, it'll burn on contact. RAY

Leaving the firebox door open anywhere from a crack to a few inches is the best method of heat management on my SQ36, Once I'm setup and rolling smoke I hardly ever touch the vents anymore. Whether the box is open a inch or two or fully closed, kids aren't going to want to touch or bump into it, it'll burn on contact. RAY
Yes, I agree with you 100%. I just know boys with a stick seem to be always itching to poke it in a fire. If they can't "see" it the appeal might be reduced somewhat.

Reactions: JJS and sawhorseray
Yes, I agree with you 100%. I just know boys with a stick seem to be always itching to poke it in a fire. If they can't "see" it the appeal might be reduced somewhat.

Yeah, there's always that! Meant to say, looks like you did a great job on your build, nice work! RAY

Reactions: Dieseltech86
I believe it works best to have an inlet lower on the door like you are saying but also on the top about the same level as the opening from firebox to cook chamber. Can't say why exactly but if I remember correctly daveomak daveomak has mentioned it in several other builds, maybe he will chime in and explain.

Ryan

Look in reverse flow builds... there is a tutorial at the top of page that explains it.

Ryan

You can see on my SQ36 there a sliding vent at the bottom of the firebox, one on each side
DSCN1753.JPG

A butterfly vent at the bottom of your firebox door might work fine, my vents are below the FB grate. You can also see in the picture three vents on the cook chamber, there's another three on the other side, I've never done a cook with any of them open, here's a better pic showing a couple
DSCN1754.JPG

I'll PM Dave to see if he's around, when it comes to offset builds he's the best. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
You can see on my SQ36 there a sliding vent at the bottom of the firebox, one on each side
View attachment 478398
A butterfly vent at the bottom of your firebox door might work fine, my vents are below the FB grate. You can also see in the picture three vents on the cook chamber, there's another three on the other side, I've never done a cook with any of them open, here's a better pic showing a couple
View attachment 478399

I'll PM Dave to see if he's around, when it comes to offset builds he's the best. RAY
Thank you for the insight!

DT86, morning.....
Having upper and lower air inlets in the FB, do wonders for controlling heat in the Cook Chamber and reducing the consumption of fuel used in cooking.... The upper air inlet, directly across from the FB/CC connection also helps to even out the temperature across the food grate...
The lower inlet controls the temperature of the fire while the upper inlet moves heat from the FB into the CC...
It's been tested and proven by the many members that helped in the development of ....
Standard Reverse Flow Smoker Calculator... by DaveOmak and others

Click on this link....

This is what I came up with for my intake. I used a brake chamber pushrod, clevis and machine roller. I welded in the clevis nut support tube with wide peices of 1/4" plate to direct the air down towards the base of the fire. I have not used a grate but want to try one. I still haven't done the upper holes yet. I did a butt hot and fast and it turned out wonderful. Got it done in 5.5 hrs @ 300 degrees. I used much less wood with the vent in place. I felt that a lot of energy was wasted out the top by cracking the door.

Attachments

• 20210108_174651.jpg
    20210108_174651.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210109_182731.jpg
    20210109_182731.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210108_185231.jpg
    20210108_185231.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210109_185717.jpg
    20210109_185717.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: daveomak
I finally got it done and moved out of the garage to it's final resting place!

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_225237_916.jpg
    IMG_20211027_225237_916.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20211025_095143.jpg
    20211025_095143.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky