Firebox external temperature?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LanceR

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2012
Pinnacle, NC
Hello Colleagues!

Have any of you measured the external temperature of your uninsulated fire box? I'm wondering what the maximum temperature I might see on the exterior of a 1/4" plate fire box.

Thanks

Lance

Not sure of an exact temp but you can cook on it with pots and cast iron. Use it to your benefit for things like sauces. It is also good for preheating wood in the winter before tossing splits in the firebox.

also it depends on how big of a fire you have in the box,don't forget that wood stoves were used to cook on for hundreds of years and a lot were not much better than a tin can

Thanks. I know you can cook on one. What I really want, and should have mentioned in my original post, is some fairly hard data on maximum external fire box temps to help decide which type of paint I want to use.

Highland International 809 direct-to-metal is a single part 1200 degree air cured paint (black only) with good reputation for color fastness and service life for around $75 a gallon (200 SF typical coverage). They also make ceramic/silicone paints with 14-1500 degree service temps but they cost more like $200/gallon...

And there are more expensive air cured options yet running all the way to Cerakote's Glacier Black at 2000 degrees (but with a scary price tag).

I need a 45 gallon patio build that will be in sight of the kitchen and family room windows to stay good looking for along time or my wife will get a rash....which will lead to me getting a rash....

So spending some money on really good paint is worth it to me especially as I will have at least enough left for a 120 gallon build left over.

I would suggest a high temp header paint. Usually rated up to 2K*.

Chris

Your better off having it powder coated if you want it to last. Others keep a cheap spray can of high heat on hand and just use as needed. With 1/4 inch steel you will have to redo if you want it to continue to look good.

Interesting thread, my stick burner is only a few months old. however i live in a high temperature area average is 90f all year round with humidity ranging from 70-90%.

How often do you guys have to paint your fireboxes?

I have a 3/8 thick 24in diameter pipe as my fire box. I had 1000 degree high heat paint put on it after getting it sandblasted and in certain spots right by where the firebox and cook chamber connect the paint has blistered off.
I would totally go for the 2000 degree paint.
I guessing the firebox in certain areas gets well over 800-1000 degrees.

Thanks for the replies, guys. There's some good stuff there but it isn't what I'm looking for. If someone has measured them, I'm looking for the actual temperatures they have experienced.

How often do you guys have to paint your fireboxes?

I had 1000 degree high heat paint put on it after getting it sandblasted and in certain spots right by where the firebox and cook chamber connect the paint has blistered off.

Rusty, It'll be interesting to see what if any responses you get.

I suspect that the answer is "That depends...." on the specific service conditions, is it stored indoors or exposed to the weather and sun, what the original coating was, how it was applied and to what thickness it was applied and perhaps most importantly, how was the surface prepared for painting. And on what you tolerance level is for a less than perfect finish.

jbellard, I suspect that you are correct in that a hot fire, especially one where flame is reaching the top of the fire box does indeed hit and exceed 1000 degrees. I think a secondary air vent across from the opening to the cook chamber would really help moderate the temperature at the top of the fire box.

I personally have only experienced 450*f extrernal fire box temps on the sides on my big smoker after running for 8 hours at roughly 225*f. It's 1/4 plate with a warming oven on top of the fire box non insulated. Fire box is 30x39x24. Though only measuring the sides I have not measured the cook chamber side of the fire box as I would expect possibly a higher temp due to flow. Just my experience the one time I used an infrared temp gun on it and was honestly expecting a higher temp.

Thanks. That helps a lot as the patio build will most likely get a warming box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky