Firebox/cook chamber opening

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morgandavis

Original poster
Nov 20, 2021
I’m currently working on my first smoker. Ive followed the formula and most of it’s been very simple for me to understand. The only problem I’m having is with the FB/CC opening size. I can’t understand how to do it.
The CC is 60” long, 23 1/8” inside diameter. The firebox is 23” long, 23 1/8” inside diameter. Both are circular, but I was wanting to use a half-moon fb/cc opening, as it seems this would help deflect some heat from the front end of the baffle plate. Any help is much appreciated.

You will need a 14-15” diameter. Mark on CC where you want bottom center of opening to be. Take a scrap piece wood and drill two holes in it 7.25” a part. Put one hole on your bottom center mark and. Put some sort of punch or sharp object hold top hole in place. Put sharpie in bottom hole and draw perfect circle 14.5” in diameter. Draw horizontal line through center. Now you have half moon on bottom. Will nee around 80sq in of opening

You will need a 14-15” diameter. Mark on CC where you want bottom center of opening to be. Take a scrap piece wood and drill two holes in it 7.25” a part. Put one hole on your bottom center mark and. Put some sort of punch or sharp object hold top hole in place. Put sharpie in bottom hole and draw perfect circle 14.5” in diameter. Draw horizontal line through center. Now you have half moon on bottom. Will nee around 80sq in of opening
That answered it for me. Thanks!

Rf plate go above it. You want 3-4” of space between grate and RF plate. Make plate out of 1/4” if can. Helps reduce radiant heat and hot spots. I have 1/8” in mine and use water pan between plate and grate for first 10”. Really helps even out temps

make sure opening on far side of RF plate is same volume as fb/cc opening

Reactions: morgandavis
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky