Firearms, AK Conversion, Saiga to 103

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought two Bulgarian made AK style rifles back in 1996 or 97. Arsenal SLR95's with milled receivers rather than stamped. They were dirt cheap at the time. I think I paid about $500 a piece for them or something like that.
I'd take the guitar in your avatar, before I'd take any gun mentioned in this thread.:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: kevin james
I'd take the guitar in your avatar, before I'd take any gun mentioned in this thread.:emoji_thumbsup:
Good eye, that's my crown jewel. In a disaster situation if I could only grab and save one single possession, that would be it (all living things excluded of course lol). Would you believe that this coming September it will be 60 years old?

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Honestly, I am not a fan of the 5.56 myself. It's too easy to deflect off branches and crap. Most all my long rifles are .308 though I would like to try the Creedmoor round eventually. It has a way flatter trajectory. The .308 at range is like lobbing a missile lol.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Honestly, I am not a fan of the 5.56 myself. It's too easy to deflect off branches and crap. Most all my long rifles are .308 though I would like to try the Creedmoor round eventually. It has a way flatter trajectory. The .308 at range is like lobbing a missile lol.
I still hear ya loud and clear.

Three Three O Eights
100_6949.JPG

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Yeah, I have to say I am a fan of the Saiga Shotties 100% LOL. Looks great keep us updated. No offense though but I still gotta say I prefer my M1A though that bad boy wasn't cheap lol.
Love the M1a. Bought one 36 years ago. Springfield Armory standard model. I got a good one. Out shot many Match and Super Match M1a shooters with that rifle at Fort Hood.

Good eye, that's my crown jewel. In a disaster situation if I could only grab and save one single possession, that would be it (all living things excluded of course lol). Would you believe that this coming September it will be 60 years old?
It's amazing, I always drool over it whenever I see it.
I almost bought a blacked out 99 GS today from a guy that was in Guitar center. It was used and abused, but it would have cleaned up pretty decent. The guy was selling five guitars, all of them were pretty trashed. He wanted about $200 more than I was willing to pay at the time, but I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass about letting an American made 1999 Gibson SG walk way for $500.

Sorry about the highjack, Chile.

Reactions: kevin james
It's amazing, I always drool over it whenever I see it.
I almost bought a blacked out 99 GS today from a guy that was in Guitar center. It was used and abused, but it would have cleaned up pretty decent. The guy was selling five guitars, all of them were pretty trashed. He wanted about $200 more than I was willing to pay at the time, but I'm kinda kicking myself in the ass about letting an American made 1999 Gibson SG walk way for $500.

Sorry about the highjack, Chile.

That's a pretty good deal, depending how trashed it was. I don't want to hijack Chile's thread, so I started this thread:

Sorry Chile

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Love the M1a. Bought one 36 years ago. Springfield Armory standard model. I got a good one. Out shot many Match and Super Match M1a shooters with that rifle at Fort Hood.
Yeah I had gotten a CMP rack grade a couple decades ago also.... I had a settlement and some money to burn so I got a loaded and an ashbury bout 8 years ago
:<)....

Looks great, range fee has went up to $75 this year and no single day passes to keep out the riff raff, will probably renew but the cost of ammo has gotten pretty bad here. Went into a new firearms store this week and most of the 300wm ammo was almost $60 and up. 223 and 556 were $12+ for 20 rounds , 22 ammo wasn't much better, 100rd 20-12g at walmart $35 . dove season might be a lean year no spray and pray lol. Hope it shoots as good as it looks,

• Sad
Very nice let us know how she shoots. I love the foldables, my Ashbury has a foldable stock. As for ranges we got a 1,000 yarder here it's on a very nice facility with everything from skeet and trap to steel pistol and long-range lanes. Ammo is all going to the 87,000 new jack booted .... err I mean IRS agents me thinks O.o lol...

Looks great, range fee has went up to $75 this year and no single day passes to keep out the riff raff, will probably renew but the cost of ammo has gotten pretty bad here. Went into a new firearms store this week and most of the 300wm ammo was almost $60 and up. 223 and 556 were $12+ for 20 rounds , 22 ammo wasn't much better, 100rd 20-12g at walmart $35 . dove season might be a lean year no spray and pray lol. Hope it shoots as good as it looks,
Thanks, this builder does good work and is very reasonable with great turn around times.
Builder test fires before pinning barrel components, so it should be rough zeroed.
Barrel never left the original receiver and it shot about 2 MOA.

$75. range fee? That's daily?

Who the heck buys ammo at the local brick-n-mortar?
Gotta buy in bulk 250, 500, 1000rd, and give www.ammoseek.com for the best prices... If you're not already.

Very nice let us know how she shoots. I love the foldables, my Ashbury has a foldable stock. As for ranges we got a 1,000 yarder here it's on a very nice facility with everything from skeet and trap to steel pistol and long-range lanes. Ammo is all going to the 87,000 new jack booted .... err I mean IRS agents me thinks O.o lol...
1000 yards... I'd have to join a private range just across the Mississippi line. One of my local ranges goes out to 450 yards which is adequate.
When I really get the itch I travel up to CMP Marksmanship Park Talladega. Place is a modern marvel, love the main rifle range, all electronic targets and scoring and it goes to 600 yards.

JBT! JBT! JBT! Jack Booted Thugs!
Yep, the feds have bought tens of millions rounds of ammo and sidearms and Personal Defense Weapons (actual assault weapons aka submachineguns) for every imaginable alphabet agency.

Shooting ranges in Central Texas are the pits - no really, the outdoor "ranges" are actual dirt pits with no Range Safety Officers and very rude people running the places.

So, I went to a "well advertised" indoor range a bit south of Austin and I was not allowed to sit down and sight a new .22lr cal Ruger Mark IV Target with a Ruger Fastfire III, in, from a seated resting position at 10-yards because: "some people have shot the ceiling from seated positions with the targets up close." You MUST put your target at 25-yards if you want to shoot from a seated position. I kid you not. Meanwhile some first-time shooter with an AR is pretending to be Rambo wasting ammo right next to you.

I can't even see the target at 25-yards anymore (especially indoors) much less sight a pistol in.

Arizona shooting ranges (indoor and public outdoor around Phoenix) are light-years ahead of Texas. I WISH I was shooting at Ben Avery's again. I DREAM of it!

You folks with access to quality shooting facilities should get down on your knees and thank God.

Looks like a nice build chilerelleno chilerelleno

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky