Fire Roasted Beef Broth/Stock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Open fire roasted beef broth/stock. Excellent for soups and stews this winter.
And how about some fingerpicking country blues, Elizabeth Cotten's Freight Train, circa 1905.

Beef meat and bones from shank, "soup bones" (neck), marrow bones, oxtail, whatever you can find, total about 5 lbs. I roughly cut the meat, onions and carrots, brush with oil, and roast over wood fire, turning periodically, for maybe 40-60 minutes. Alternatively, you can roast in the oven at 400 F instead of grilling.
Everything is then put into a large pot and covered with cold water. Then celery, bay leaves, parsley, peppercorns are added. Pot is covered and brought to a very low simmer about 205 F (210 max) and cooked for 24-30 hours. There should be only a couple of small bubbles slowly rising to the top every 1 to 3 seconds.
Remove spent vegetables and beef/bones, strain liquid to remove particulates, put in containers and either use or freeze for later. I usually get about 2+ quarts from 5 lbs of meat/bones.

Man that broth has some beautiful color. Looks rich and delicious. Need to give this a try. I also need your Santa Maria lol. That will probably be my next grill purchase. Nice finger pickin!

WOW, Steve!! Not sure how I missed this, but that is pure goodness right there. Love the accompaniment, as well...

There's something special about slow-cooked meals, especially during the winter. Your method sounds like a labor of love, and I can imagine the depth of flavor it creates.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky